Thread: Junior Inter Counties Fell

Junior Inter Counties Fell

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=1905
    http://www.fellraces.co.uk/

New for this year - details on links.

I look after Lancashire and I think Dave Woodhead is looking after Yorkshire.

If any other counties have team managers that are putting forward U18 or U16 juniors, you can put some info on this thread.

NB Athletes - if you aren't sure what is going on in your county, check with someone at your club or someone at your County AA.

It's 3 per team, but you don't need to have a full team to take part - if you are the only budding fell runner from a county, so be it - you are still flying the flag for your county.

You may be able to coax someone to the fells for the first time - and get a team together with the County AAs support.

By the way, remember this applies to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland as well.

Re: Junior Inter Counties Fell

http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2012/fra.htm

I have to say a well done to Yorkshire, Lancashire and North Wales for making this a contest, and a big thank you to the organisers for putting on the junior races as well.

But for me and Alan Barlow who worked to get this sanctioned by the UK CAU for juniors, the other counties should hold they're heads in shame.

I'm gobsmacked that Cumbria didn't put a team in - they could have made teams up from Helm Hill alone, but when I see the FRA Juniors they have participants from Broughton, Ellenborough and Border in the U16 & U18 age groups.

An there isn't even any compulsion to put teams in - if there's just one in an age group wants to run, then let them as Derbyshire and Staffordshire did.

I can't believe that we cannot get some more runners in from Greater Manchester, Merseyside, Cheshire, North East Counties and then the rest of Wales and Scotland.

I hope that we can get some increased interest for next year.

So do I Richard. Helm Hill only have one u18, we have no u16s at Helm for your info. A number of juniors were asked but a mixture of injury and A level studies were forwarded a reasons for declining.

Thanks for the feedback & sorry you are gobsmacked, not hanging head in shame just yet thanks, prefer to focus on developing Cumbria u12s & u14s so we have a sides in future. Cumbria has a significant gap in this age group, attempting to address this but even Cumbria juniors take time to grow!

Duncan, there's more than Helm though and there weren't even any seniors. Where's the Cumbria AA in this? I would have expected that this would be their No1 Inter Counties event.

Master

It was a great event but had an air of being low key about it. I saw some great runs especially the two Yorks girls in the U16 race who beat most of the boys. There was some chat at the races on saturday about the timing with many of that age group being involved in exams at the moment. Some suggested it might be better to use a different event such as combine it with an English junior champs event or the English schools. I would have thought any of those 7 races could accomodate runners from outside of England for an Inter Counties race. Although Shining Tor is a great race to run in, from a spectator perspective its not the best (basically none of the race is visible) and I think that needs thinking of so at least athletes finish to a bit of a crowd and a reception committee. almost no one saw the juniors finish on Saturday!!

Why also only U16 and U18. these two age groups represent the thinning of fields in all junior athletics comps and that was reflected too on Saturday. I think to generate the atmousphere and make it an event it would be better separated from the seniors.

I would also agree with the point regarding exams and timing. My daughter has 8 GCSE exams this week, with 3 of them yesterday! There is no way she could have taken the best part of a full day out on Saturday.

I know exams are a factor, but that's practically the case now for all year groups and at meny times of the year due to the modular structure now in place. I had people who declined to run in teh XC Champs at Witton in early January citing exams :w00t:

However, the main difference has got to be that in Lancs, Yorks and North Wales someone made the effort to invite athletes to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Some suggested it might be better to use a different event such as combine it with an English junior champs event or the English schools.
    That always seemed the obvious choice to me as assistant/organiser for the FRA Junior Series. It would take a lot of coordination though, and would mean it can't always combine with the Seniors Intercounties, especially when that was out of England. I can understand the desire to have it with the Seniors race.