Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowpe

Cowpe

Just reading the new info on the link from this website about the details of Cowpe race. Can I just clarify something. Details seem to suggest that the U16 will be following the senior route which is 8.2 km and suggests also that the distance has been extended for U16. I'm going to assume that i have misinterpreted this given the recent "discussions" about race distance. Can this be clarified please as it has implications for training and preparation for this one.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Re: Cowpe

I haven't seen that Al. Have you a link to the info?

What I've seen is that the U18s run the Whittle Pike race route which is technically too far for the U16s.

But now that you've kyboshed the trial at Coiners and they are using Cowpe, it is clear they have to run the U16 & U18 together as the World Youth Challenge is for those at the bottom of the U18 and top of the U16 age groups.

I can't see the need to up the distance though.

The World Youth Challenge is 5.2k/285m for Boys and 3.5K/190m for Girls so I can't see them sending the athletes around 8.2k/488m

Perhaps someone can clarify?

Cant do the fancy link thing but if you go to the junior champs race page there has been a tab added under directions for the Cowpe race.

Nick will put the distances up soon (as soon as leftys finished going round them all!) & i personally dont know the route, but although the race follows Whittle Pike course, I believe the plan is to start & finish further along the senior route so the distance will match the World Youth Challenge distance without losing any of the ascent/descent and, as you say, 16 & 18 can run together for trial reasons.
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

Quote from the RO's document on the main FRA website as referenced above:
    "U 16s and U18s. 12.00. As this is a selection race the route is extended for
    the U16s and follows the full senior course, apart from the road and track
    start/finish from the village
    . Extremely tough open moorland – almost no flat
    bits, although mostly on little single track paths."
    By my rough calculation this reduces the race distance by about 2Km, and therefore conforms with U16 distance rules.
    As the RO is also a member of the FRA committee, I think it unlikely that any of the races would exceed permitted distances.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Quote from the RO's document on the main FRA website as referenced above:
    "U 16s and U18s. 12.00. As this is a selection race the route is extended for
    the U16s and follows the full senior course, apart from the road and track
    start/finish from the village
    . Extremely tough open moorland – almost no flat
    bits, although mostly on little single track paths."
    By my rough calculation this reduces the race distance by about 2Km, and therefore conforms with U16 distance rules.
    As the RO is also a member of the FRA committee, I think it unlikely that any of the races would exceed permitted distances.
    I had read that but not knowing the senior race route i didnt know how far that would be, whether it was just a few metres or miles. Looks like its going to be about a 6km to 6.5km race then.

The Under 16's and under 18's will run together over a shortened Whittle Pike route which comes out at 6.69 km. i.e. within the required max distance for those age groups. All of the races will start on the farm track some distance (10mins walk) from registration and the usual Whittle Pike race start. I have run all of the race routes this afternoon and posted all of the Garmin links plus a Map of all of the courses on the Juniors page on the Rossendale Harriers website. http://www.rossendaleharriers.co.uk/Juniors.htm .These are rough and tough courses, good studs are advisable, fell on my backside on slippy grass this afternoon several times !
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I haven't seen that Al. Have you a link to the info?

What I've seen is that the U18s run the Whittle Pike race route which is technically too far for the U16s.

But now that you've kyboshed the trial at Coiners and they are using Cowpe, it is clear they have to run the U16 & U18 together as the World Youth Challenge is for those at the bottom of the U18 and top of the U16 age groups.

I can't see the need to up the distance though.

The World Youth Challenge is 5.2k/285m for Boys and 3.5K/190m for Girls so I can't see them sending the athletes around 8.2k/488m

Perhaps someone can clarify?

Thanks for this Graham, sounds good, were you running around the course in your plimsols? I'm looking forward to these races, thanks guys.
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

Just a quick note to everyone racing tomorrow at Cowpe to say good luck and go well. Sadly I can't make it as I'm in hospital after a minor operation, but will be thinking of everyone. Remember to keep sipping water & the sunscreen thing, looks like a hot one.

Also, you may well see a piece of A4 with an FRA logo at registration. This is a junior newsletter I've put together based in recent questions I've been asked and info you may find useful. Please help yourself and have a read.

Good luck also to those racing for an England vest in the trial, should be cracking race. I've tried to summarise and simplify the various Junior International races & trials available in the newsletter.

I'll be back on deck soon & hope to catch up with folk then.

Until then, have a great day.
    Duncan

Very best wishes to all.

Sorry we won't be seeing you today Duncan.....hope all goes well for you. See you soon.