Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scrambling and fell running

Re: Scrambling and fell runnin

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    does`nt it say something about scrambling type terrain in the FRA rules regarding safety requirments for fell races under 4 course design ?
    It does but it's a bit ambiguous and doesn't really mention scrambling. It says courses "must not be unnecessarily dangerous" and mentions that hazards such as "rock climbs or steep unstable slopes", or "comparable foreseeable dangers" must not be compulsory route choices. I think that's a good approach actually as it puts the onus on the race organiser to decide whether or not a particular route classes as unnecessarily dangerous or not, and at the end of the day they're going to know the course the best out of anyone so they're most informed to make the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    does`nt it say something about scrambling type terrain in the FRA rules regarding safety requirments for fell races under 4 course design ?
    Yeah.. I think technically the Peris may break those conditions as the east ridge of Wyddfa that most lead runners ascend to but off the watkins is classed as a grade 1 scramble.. and that's pretty dodgy terrain.. which has claimed lives in the past if you get the line slightly wrong, plus its incredibly loose.. I like it.. but when it was a champs race back in '06.. it wasn't so much fun with many of us on it at the same time..

Top bit of Moel Hebog is quite sporting.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post
    Gable from Beck Head on Wasdale
    first bit of Tryfan Downhill
    last bit of ascent on Ras Yr Aran
    Definitley.

Did a walking recce of Wasdale yesterday. Said to my walking mate "I'm gonna run all the way up Gable", 10 seconds later I was on hands and knees scrambling

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Article in the next trail running magazine on record breaking run of the snowdon horseshoe and run scrambles.. including input from the self promoting runsnowdinia...
    Self-promoting?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4518

What can you tell me about Benn Eighe then Iain?

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...amp-Benn-Eighe
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post
    Some pretty sensible comments about runners personal responsibility and self reliance in amongst that lot, should be compulsory reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Some pretty sensible comments about runners personal responsibility and self reliance in amongst that lot, should be compulsory reading.
    Thanks, unfortunately it contained too much self promoting for some on here.. not sure exactly how that was..

I thought it was pretty clear that yes we guide but you don't need a guide..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Thanks, unfortunately it contained too much self promoting for some on here.. not sure exactly how that was..

I thought it was pretty clear that yes we guide but you don't need a guide..
    It's a brilliant article Iain, covers pretty much everything you need to know about fell running. Personally didn't think it wasn't self-promoting at all, quite the opposite as you're encouraging people to get out there and try it. Particularly liked the comment saying fellrunning is "only extreme for the incompetent"

Incidentally, I remember reading an article at the end of last year written by you (or possibly just Sarah?) about fell running in winter. I thought it was for UKC but couldn't find it online so thought maybe it was for the BMC's Summit magazine? Either way, that was a great article and definitely motivated me to start doing some proper winter fell runs.

Just started to read this thread and noticed it is predominantly lakes based. Been from "t" penines does Laddow rocks on the Home Moss Fell race count as scrambling ? Perhaps some body with more experience could inform me.
    Certainly felt like scrambling to me, although on the easier grade .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Holme Moss, ascending the rocks to join the Pennine way - I can remember thinking as I was doing it that I could easily have a nasty fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    Just started to read this thread and noticed it is predominantly lakes based. Been from "t" penines does Laddow rocks on the Home Moss Fell race count as scrambling ? Perhaps some body with more experience could inform me.
    Certainly felt like scrambling to me, although on the easier grade .
    Mike T reckons so, me too beaker, only done it once but i scrambled:wink:
    Hills and Guinness!