Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A meeting of minds

A meeting of minds

I've been thinking recently about how many of us have never met each other, and for those of us that don't race will be unlikely to meet unless we do something about it. Now I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to sort some get together in a pub or something. Is this something that would interest folks or is it just me being a bit weird?
    "That was the night everything changed"

Re: A meeting of minds

I've thought that it might be good to combine something like that with a race or recce. Those not running could marshall / officiate. Nothing fancy just a simple up and down Darwen Tower, Rivington Pike or something.
    Could have something like personalised forumite T shirts done to race in and charge an entry fee with surplus going to Mountain Rescue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I've thought that it might be good to combine something like that with a race or recce. Those not running could marshall / officiate. Nothing fancy just a simple up and down Darwen Tower, Rivington Pike or something.
    Could have something like personalised forumite T shirts done to race in and charge an entry fee with surplus going to Mountain Rescue.
    Good idea, but why hi jack an existing race.
    Why not have a run/race just for the forumites, orgainised and marshalled by forumites.
    I know a couple or more routes round the top of the moors at Junction 22 of the M62 if its of any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Good idea, but why hi jack an existing race.
    Why not have a run/race just for the forumites, orgainised and marshalled by forumites.
    I know a couple or more routes round the top of the moors at Junction 22 of the M62 if its of any interest.
    Sorry Trev, but that was exactly what I meant - to have a forumites race.

Banned

Great minds.
    Any chance couple of different lengths of route. 8k-ish and 13-19k-ish

Did you think of Junc 22 of M62 for the South Pennines run?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Great minds.
    Any chance couple of different lengths of route. 8k-ish and 13-19k-ish

Did you think of Junc 22 of M62 for the South Pennines run?
    I'd suggest a good pub is a priority and should be top of the agenda

If you gave me a choice I'd pick the Staff of Life which is a couple of miles outside Todmorden on the road to Burnley, ample parking up the back and some decent route choices as it's close to Thieveley Pike.

It depends also who's going to carry the mantle of RO.

If I were to arrange such an event I'd pick one of the pubs at Tockholes, or perhaps the Hare and Hounds in Abbey Village as I'd need something close to home to sort out a route etc.

If you are going to accept the roll of RO, and you have a pub just off Jct 22 we can use as a base, then I'm up for that.

Would have to be 8k ish for me my running is definitely crap at the minute and I'd probably still be crawling at that distance

I hadn't thought about a run, was thinking more of a pint or 2. Though this could certainly be after the event. Could also make it an annual event with a different location each year. Think it would be a cracker, especially for those of us who don't race and have no particular interest in doing so.

Think it would be a good idea if the route choice was simple with no need for nav. I'll be struggling to do a decent pace as it is, never mind trying to read a map! Also think it would be a good idea to look at this as more of a run than a race. After all the emphasis is meeting other forumites so it would be good to have a chat on the way round, and for the more experienced/ fast racers out there to give us slow knackered types some encouragement and not just hammer round.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 16-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.

I'd just like to add my two penn'orth here, and vote for the King's Arms in Silsden as the venue; some good running up on the moors, and I can walk there from my house so I can have plenty of beer to rehydrate afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Conan187 View Post
    Would have to be 8k ish for me my running is definitely crap at the minute and I'd probably still be crawling at that distance

I hadn't thought about a run, was thinking more of a pint or 2. Though this could certainly be after the event. Could also make it an annual event with a different location each year. Think it would be a cracker, especially for those of us who don't race and have no particular interest in doing so.
    Have a look at the Xmas on the Fells thread or XOTF. Mind you an 8K run isnt probably far enough (whats that 4 and a bit miles?) to get runners coming from far and wide. SS was long ago going to organise a Summer on the fells (SOTF) but I don't think he ever got past the planning stage...