Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Achilles Tendonosis Recovery

Achilles Tendonosis Recovery

A quick question for anyone thats recovered from Achilles tendonosis....

How did the recovery progress? and at what point did you decide "I'm healed"?

Was it a very gradual run of 3 Miles pain free, then 4 Miles then 5 etc... or was it a very sudden.. it hurts.. then suddenly it doesn't?

Basically I'm suffering and am doing all the the eccentric stretches as advised by physio and cut my running down to approx 3miles every other day.. or stopping shorter if it starts to hurt followed by ice and just wondering what I can expect.

Ta

Super Moderator

Re: Achilles Tendonosis Recove

I suspect if you're susceptible to Achilles problems like tendonosis and tendonitis the problem never really clear up. I've had issues for 4 or 5years and they come and go. I hit the eccentric excercises hard for 6 to 8weeks, the problem goes then it comes back when I increase mileage. Fell running (big hills, walking the ups etc) doesn't seem to bad but if I say tried to train properly for PPP or a road marathon it wouldn't be long before the pain and swollen Achilles returned
    Poacher turned game-keeper

hmm.. not what i was wanting to hear i was hoping for "its all clear, and i can now run sub 4min miles uphill"

When you get a bout do you stop running during that 6-8 weeks?

I went to a physio and podiatrist after damaging my achilles last year. After resting from running (was allowed to cycle and swim) for 4 weeks and the fitting of orthotics I havent had a niggle since.

Empathy to you Beasty.

Had a bad decade and still susceptible. Reducing miles at the first sign of stiffness and keeping up a few exercises works for me - fingers crossed.

Keeping off the roads seemed significant. Also, once, 6 weeks after a partial tear, Phsio suggested long walk over the hills, even an afternoon, with possible jog at end probably be okay. It was possible and discovery the hills were available again cured the depression.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by beasty1711 View Post
    When you get a bout do you stop running during that 6-8 weeks?
    No I don't stop running. I do the eccentric exercises and it clears up usually within a few weeks. I've had it in both heels at different times but it's always gone. I do the exercises two or three times per day. I don't do any road running normally and I'm convinced that helps a lot!

Another sufferer here compounded with some nice Haglunds spurs .
    As stated above, the eccentric exercises keep things moving and when it really flares up I end up wearing a night splint for a couple of hours after a run - seems to help me but unfortunately always niggling.

I've ended up with almost the whole year off due to achilles issues in 2011.

I had to amend the eccentric exercises slightly as dropping below horizontal aggravated the problem and from there started to see improvements.

The night-splint helped, but biggest improvements came with some pretty intense physio sessions loosening off the areas causing the problem in the first place (mostly lower back for me!).

Have been doing stretches and strength exercises (core, glutes,quads...) religiously now (minimum 3x per week!) for 4 month and have seen massive improvements. Didn't do any running when really bad, but not sure a 3 mile sanity run would have made much difference...

Another thing that helps me if achilles stiffens up is a) really stretching the plantar fascia b) a run in my slippers (ie. Hokas! - i used to laugh and point, but 2 club mates recommended them, one who also had achilles problems).

Until a month ago i used to say i was 'managing' the problem rather than cured, but am still seeing improvements and can sometimes do 2 runs on consecutive days

hmm.. thanks for all the comments.. its given me food for thought.. especially the comments about road running as since it flaired up, all of my running has been road following suggestions by the physio, and what few off road runs i've done, (Lads Leap, Wrekin) have been ok. I guess the physio went along the lines of off road may cause odd twisting and tugging

i've been physio'ing since feb along with heel drops i'm hypermobile in the ankel join so maybe dropping too much below horizontal as Britta mentioned.

Are the night splints just the plastic boots for PF?

The fact that very few seem to have gone from injured to 100% cured suggests i need to get on with it as i'd sort of been treating it as i would a muscle pull.. i.e. oooo still sore so must be injured still

Super Moderator

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...eel-injury.htm

These are the exercises I do. First three only. 20 to 30 each leg x 3 per day