Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tick parasite records

Tick parasite records

I picked up a couple of ticks yesterday on the Teenager with Altitude race, which I wasn't expecting and discovered by accident. I'm not particularly interested in running a scientific study but I am interested in hearing more about where people have picked up ticks, in what terrain and when just to get a flavour of distribution, timing and when ticks are at their most active/prevalent. If you've got any tick experiences or have any in the future then pl. post here. Here's my starter for 10:

(i) Event/Location: Teenager with altitude race (15.4 miles)/ North West Lake District
    (ii) When: 21st April 2012
    (iii) Number of ticks: 2
    (iv) Potential sources: heather on S. side of Outerside; heather/dead bracken between Whiteless Pike and Newlands Hause.

Re: Tick parasite records

Because of other hobbies, I have come into contact with ticks, this time of year they have been lying in the glass over winner and are looking for a new host. I guess you will find them anywhere there is sheep or deer. As an aside in German there is a new antibacterial gel that has been developed, this is to prevent lymes disease, the gel is applied to the bite area within three days of the bite occurring, the gel kills the bacteria that causes lyme sbefore it has a chance to multiply and get into your system.

ATB

Tahr

That's interesting. Is this gel available in the UK at all?

I think this is still at clinical trial stage based on the following
    http://www.zeckenstudie.com/default.aspx

although the site is in German it translates roughly

For a clinical trial for the prevention of Lyme disease is currently looking for participants.
    They are suitable for participation in the tick-study if you

• between 18 and 80 years are
    • have noticed in the last 3 days that you have been bitten by a tick
    • still have the tick (if you have kept it or sitting still in your skin)
    • You know exactly where the tick had bitten you.

In the tick-study safety and efficacy of an investigational drug contained in the gel for the prevention of Lyme disease after a tick bite examined. The gel is applied twice daily for 3 days at the puncture site on the skin. Study participants will be asked to carry out two dates at the study center, and between these dates to check their health twice contacted by phone. The estimated period is about 57 days.

If you think you are suitable, please contact immediately a study center near you. To qualify for participation in the question you must still meet other requirements.

the Gel is based on azithromycin and is very effective against Borrelia, even in the skin. No resistance on the part of these bacteria to this antibiotic is known ,

http://jakeofwinterhill.blogspot.com

Picked up ticks in Germany in the 80s and a couple about 5 years ago in the Cotswolds - long grass in August.

Master

Yet another reason for wearing tights.

Got my first ever tick in the Howgills last weekend, just above Sedbergh. Didn't realise what it was until I knocked it off that night. It came off in one piece and was still walking around so I presume I'm ok but I'm still looking out for symptoms.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Think my dog would meet the tick study criteria (except the age).

Last one I got was last year near Boredale Hause in the eastern lakes. Unfortunately my four year old got one after a picnic on Reston Scar a couple of weeks ago. Those tick remover things you can buy are pretty good I've found.

As far as I've heard the main danger sign is a large rash around the puncture site afterwards.

Not a fan of ticks, all things considered.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Yet another reason for wearing tights.
    I was bitten on my leg once last year despite wearing long trousers, waterproof trousers, walking boots, and gaiters, and a similar number of layers on my top half, goodness knows how they managed that one.

I do seem to be particularly susceptible though, have had many dozens of bites over the years.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I was bitten on my leg once last year despite wearing long trousers, waterproof trousers, walking boots, and gaiters, and a similar number of layers on my top half, goodness knows how they managed that one.

I do seem to be particularly susceptible though, have had many dozens of bites over the years.
    By tights I mean something tight enough to prevent insects crawling up your leg - for example mild compression garments such as Skins or 2XUs; - these will also stop ticks from attaching to your legs, and help prevent vegetation induced abrasions. I use 2XUs - comfortable and not at all hot - indeed one wearer complained on these forums that they caused heat loss.