Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skye

Skye

In a month or so's time I'm on holiday near Elgol for a week, hoping to get some hill training for a June Bob Graham Round while there, any recommendations on tough runs/climbs without having to drive for miles. Time ascending will be my priority, is it feasable to get to the Cullins on foot from Elgol for a run?
    First time on Skye

Re: Skye

I'm not an expert on Skye & I've not done a BGR, but the Cuillins are very different from the Lakes. It's very rocky with a lot of scrambling once you're on the main ridge or anything connected to it. I'd have thought you're liable to end up running a lot less than you'd want to for BGR training. The hills north of the Black Cuillin might be a better bet: Glamaig, Marisco, Glas Bheinn Mhor, Beinn na Caillich. A lot of steep climbing, few paths, but not as rocky. Enjoy it anyway: I'll be there at Spring Bank with the family.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

or leave Skye for Kintail.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    or leave Skye for Kintail.
    Cheers guys!
    I love Kintail, stopped at clunie Inn a few times and have run the 5 sisters and the South Kintail Ridge, I plan to one year link them up into a round

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Cheers guys!
    I love Kintail, stopped at clunie Inn a few times and have run the 5 sisters and the South Kintail Ridge, I plan to one year link them up into a round

cheers
    Run the NKR Also good

Skye was awesome, the coast run from Elgol to the Cullins is awesome, tied this in with a few visits up Blaven, Marsco etc. The views to Rum etc are amazing. Topped about 20,000 feet of uphill running for the week, weather was fantastic and no midges!!! Pop in to the Blue Shack for a coffee etc if you are over their, less than a mile to Blaven from the cafe, great food nice couple own it, hes currently reading feet in the clouds!!

planning on a little holiday on skye after the ben nevis race, and would like to get some running done in the cuillins range while there are there any good routes where this is possible, or is it a bit too rocky up there for running as said in an earlier post?
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    planning on a little holiday on skye after the ben nevis race, and would like to get some running done in the cuillins range while there are there any good routes where this is possible, or is it a bit too rocky up there for running as said in an earlier post?
    cheers.
    The main ridge is mostly rocky with some difficult sections and requires some local knowledge. If you are not keen to do some serious and exposed scrambling you might as well forget about it.
    There is some good running on the East side of Glen Sligachan - Glamaig, Beinn Dearg Mhor, Beinn Dearg Mheadhonach, Marcso, Belig, Garbh Bheinn. You can include the red Cuillin by going over Glach Glass and Blaven although this part is very rocky and requires scrambling on good rock. Some awkward bits on the way to Blaven can be bypassed. Go as far as Camasunary and then cross the glen West as far as Sgurr na Stri and a few outliers and make your way to Sligachan via Strath na Creitheach and Glen Sligachan.
    Yiannis

Thats great Yiannis Thanks il check it out, dont mind a good bit of scrambling so long as theirs a good bit of running to go with it.
    looking forward to it.

Get yourself up to the trotternish ridge, there's some good running to be had up there. If you've got a misty day go and get lost wandering round the quirang.