Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munro Bagging

Munro Bagging

Ladies/Gents

Wondering if I can pick your brains, not sure whether this is the right place to post it but here goes.

I'm currently trying to get my training back on track for the Lakeland 50 after an injury earlier in the year. Most years I tend take 2 weeks off work at the end of May/beginning of June and do a bit of Scottish road trip.

The last couple of years I've walked up a few munros with her indoors, but this year am going to use the time off exclusively as training for the L50 and therefore would really appreciate suggestions in terms of the munro bagging objectives with the focus on getting some longish days out in runnable terrain as opposed to bog trotting epics.

I'd obviously like to try and mix things up with some big days and shorter days to recover and factor in travel between different areas.

Looking through the SMC Munro guide over the past couple of evening a couple of thoughts are:

Glen Lyon/Ben Lawers
    Mamores
    Fisherfield 6

These aren't set in stone, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by MikeH; 22-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Re: Munro Bagging

Spoil for choice up there. The Mamores is a good choice. While in that area a great walk I done was up Aonach mor and Anoch Beag, over to Carn mor Dearg onto ben nevis via the arete and back down again. Up the back of the Three Sisters in Glencoe is really nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    Ladies/Gents

Wondering if I can pick your brains, not sure whether this is the right place to post it but here goes.

I'm currently trying to get my training back on track for the Lakeland 50 after an injury earlier in the year. Most years I tend take 2 weeks off work at the end of May/beginning of June and do a bit of Scottish road trip.

The last couple of years I've walked up a few munros with her indoors, but this year am going to use the time off exclusively as training for the L50 and therefore would really appreciate suggestions in terms of the munro bagging objectives with the focus on getting some longish days out in runnable terrain as opposed to bog trotting epics.

I'd obviously like to try and mix things up with some big days and shorter days to recover and factor in travel between different areas.

Looking through the SMC Munro guide over the past couple of evening a couple of thoughts are:

Glen Lyon/Ben Lawers
    Mamores
    Fisherfield 6

These aren't set in stone, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    you've picked some good days there already, try and link some extra munros. I've done 3 seperate horse shoes on the same day and ended up with 30+ miles 11,000ft and 6-7 munro's, some good running around drumochter pass, Cairngorms, Glenshee, bridge of Orchy, torridons,You can make a fantastic wild day out in the southern Torridons with no one around. Get an early start and you can get loads in. Did Liathach two years ago and had it to my self returning to the carpark at 8.30am in time to go to another area and do a 20 miler. so much to do and so little time.

Thanks for the replies gents certainly some food for thought there. Ian I thought you would probably pop up on this thread ;-)

Already done quite a bit in Torridon but would like to get a couple more things done - Liatach in particular.

Good shout on the Cairngorms its not an area I naturally levitate towards that said I've always fancied a crack at the Glenshee 9 so may just go and do the race route.

Will have a bit more of a dig over the SMC guide tonight, for anyone else interested Steve Fallon's site is a wealth of information as well and very logically organised.

The Fannaichs would be one set of hills that would provide a good day out. Not too bad once you get on to the ridge. A bit linear though so you'd need to figure out transport beforehand - might be best to leave your car at the end then hitch to the start.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    Thanks for the replies gents certainly some food for thought there. Ian I thought you would probably pop up on this thread ;-)

Already done quite a bit in Torridon but would like to get a couple more things done - Liatach in particular.

Good shout on the Cairngorms its not an area I naturally levitate towards that said I've always fancied a crack at the Glenshee 9 so may just go and do the race route.

Will have a bit more of a dig over the SMC guide tonight, for anyone else interested Steve Fallon's site is a wealth of information as well and very logically organised.
    Keeping an eye on the weather but may go up on Thursday Morning until Sunday/Monday if you fancy a carshare.
    Also North and south Kintail ridges.

Have you done the 4 munros south of Torridon, rarely visited and stunning views of Liathach. one of the tops name is translated to something like "the baldy old man"

Ah yes the 5 sister of Kintail - very good shout.

Can't make this week Ian but will ping you my details if you fancy getting a quick trip in the future.

Master

there's also the South Glenshiel Ridge - after you've done the normal 7, stay on the ridge to take in a Corbett and another Munro on the way to a finish on the Saddle.

Ben Lawers group in one outing is a great route.
    I started at Invervar in Glen Lyon going to Meall Greigh first then taking in all the summits going west to Tarmachan, from there back to pick up Meall a Choire Leith.
    I had a superb day at the start of winter 2010, it went dark on Tarmachan and my compass broke, so I ended up navigating to M a C Leith using the stars !

Others
    Mamores are pretty rocky, not what I'd call the most runnable terrain.
    Cairngorms, runnable.

You can have a good day on Ben a Glo above Blair Atholl, with options to make a longer or shorter day.

Got to agree about steve fallon's website, it's full of excellent info. Try following some of his route choices with times given for running the route, some big days on the hills.
    Just arrived back on saturday after a fantastic week in Perthshire, maybe doing Kinder Downfall yesterday wasn't the best idea, my legs felt dead for the first 4miles then eased off thankfully, cracking race though would highly recommend it.
    Plenty of snow on the tops last week, knee deep in many parts on the ridges but very lucky with clear sky and little wind.....heaven!!!!