Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothermia

Re: Hypothermia

I am borderline hypothermic sat at my desk in jeans, boots, thick socks, a merino baselayer and a merino l/s top :w00t: and it is June! Let alone going out there in rain and wind on an exposed hillside!

This summer has been ridiculously cold so far No time to get complacent, thinking it is June I won't need much. ALWAYS carry warm and waterproof kit, you never know when you may need it!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Just goes to show though - June and it wasn't even as if the weather was that bad - just being out in it for several hours, using up fuel reserves, getting wet and blown on ... it doesn't take much to start to get into trouble.
    It'd be interesting if you plotted number of hypothermia cases against season.. I reckon it could be more of an issue in the summer, when runners expect warmer conditions and take more risks...

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    It'd be interesting if you plotted number of hypothermia cases against season.. I reckon it could be more of an issue in the summer, when runners expect warmer conditions and take more risks...
    Probably true. I like your logical thinking
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

too true Iain

I had a big day out in Scotland on Thursday
    today i went out and spent the first 90 minutes running in to a strong northerly, it's June FFS, i had 2 thick base layers, a thick fleece, a windproof and a goretex, fleece gloves and windstopper mitts, buff and mountain cap and i was bloody cold so bailed out. tiredness certainly paid it's part. I couldn't afford to get Hypothermic I'd never live it down....:wink:

Brilliant article on this subject in the latest FRA mag I thought. Read it yesterday and put more kit in the bag when I did me long run this morning. I learned a lot and the example of the runner getting hypothermic in the pub, drinking coffee by the fire was enlightening.

Any thoughts?
    actually wearing sportiva's now

Quote Originally Posted by mudclawed View Post
    Brilliant article on this subject in the latest FRA mag I thought. Read it yesterday and put more kit in the bag when I did me long run this morning. I learned a lot and the example of the runner getting hypothermic in the pub, drinking coffee by the fire was enlightening.

Any thoughts?
    Glad you liked it, I was putting a smaller version together to put on the forum when I was asked to do one for the mag. It's also on my website for non FRA members who want to read it. Feel free to spread the word as I believe knowledge is king. I know of 2 fell clubs that have put a link to the site already.

Ah the author! Yeah I did "like" it but it scared me as well-as well it should. Thanks
    actually wearing sportiva's now

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Glad you liked it, I was putting a smaller version together to put on the forum when I was asked to do one for the mag. It's also on my website for non FRA members who want to read it. Feel free to spread the word as I believe knowledge is king. I know of 2 fell clubs that have put a link to the site already.
    Good point I'll add a link to the Eryri site.. think they've not removed my access yet..

Added.. http://eryriharriers.org.uk/services...r=2&newsid=644

I even bigged you up a bit :-)
    Last edited by IainR; 18-07-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Good point I'll add a link to the Eryri site.. think they've not removed my access yet..

Added.. http://eryriharriers.org.uk/services...r=2&newsid=644

I even bigged you up a bit :-)
    Thanks Iain :embarrassed:

Great to have the article up on your website, Ian - some of the rescue team were enthusiastic about it having read it in the FRA mag, and we were looking at a way to circulate it to everyone. Problem solved!