Thread: BRG WAGs/Supprt Crew/Slaves

BRG WAGs/Supprt Crew/Slaves

Hello All,

Andy's Bob Graham WAG/Support Crew/Slave here. I will be cheif in charge of driving around the lakes with food and 'man up' talks for Andy in a few weeks. Any tips from previous attempts on what worked/did not work as support crew?

I've already driven the whole route and found all the road crossing points during various days up there, but any further advice would be fab.

Getting very nervous/excited already and I'm not even doing the running!

Rose
    (Long suffering BG WAG)

Re: BRG WAGs/Supprt Crew/Slave

Make sure you get to the road crossings well in advance.

There are several options of where to park up at each crossing so make sure you and Andy know where you are going to be.

Have someone with binoculars to keep an eye on the approach lines so that you can get a brew on etc. in time.

Keep others out of the way, only those immediately helping with feeding, sock/shoe change should be around the contender. Pacers from the previous leg should wait for grub until the contender has left.

Pay any parking fees if you are using car parks. Inevitably the charges aren't whole pounds so have some change!

Be prepared for a long day - main road support is nearly as hard as doing the round.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I just asked my wife for her tips - she has done the BGR widow thing and then some, having to support a summer one and two winter ones for me, one of which whilst 8 months pregnant (she got plenty help in for that one!).

She said - ha! Then she said to tell the poor soul to have company throughout if possible as it can feel quite lonely and to make sure you have plenty of food and warm drinks and clothes for yourself. Then she said that i still hadn't paid her back for the summer one in 2007 now she thinks of it, never mind the winter ones and she went off to compile some kind of list. I now live in fear.

Be ready for your partner to be unreasonable and demanding, expecting food on the table, scurvy feet to be washed and vaselined, socks changed, etc etc, without raising a finger to help or offering to tidy up afterwards, and then to leave the shower muddy before falling asleep without remembering to say thank you...

...no different to a normal weekend?
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Great tips from Bob above..

a few more

Check out and, more importantly, check in all pacers and helpers at end of each leg, have a list of their contact details etc., and a plan if someones late.
    Have another driver with you if poss, see above, and you will need a snooze now and then.
    Sort out logistics of lifts and transport etc in advance.
    There may be 2 or 3 (or more) attempts at the same time, make sure Andy and team know how to find your crew.
    If someone doesn't have a job, give them a camera.
    Enjoy.

Rose,

I think you'll need a large table, as when we were out on Saturday, Andy was explaining how he expected a full sports massage at each crossing. He also mentioned giant palm leaves........something to do with cooling him down?!!! :wink:

Martin
    @spooney33

Ha ha Martin, I'm assuming that this is what you have arranged with Yolanda also?!

And we've already practised to unreasonable/demanding behaviour on the training missions so I know about those!

Seriously though, some really good tips, especially the one about the camera - it would be a shame to forget to take pictures on such a big day.

Many thanks, wish me luck! (Oh and Andy as well....)