Thread: Pre-race food and drink??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pre-race food and drink??

Hi I'm going to have a dabble at some of the short gala races this year.

Burnsall, Kilnsey, Kettlewell. and Buckden, which will be the longest I'll do.

Never done much racing, and was wanting to know if there were some pre -race specific foods and drink that hit the spot for this type of length of race.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

rs2315.

Re: Pre-race food and drink??

For this length of race one or two bananas will probably suffice, they do for me anyway. The most important factor is a decent carb loading supper, I.e. pasta and a good slow carb releasing breakfast like porridge, good luck and welcome to fell running

Quote Originally Posted by protodoc View Post
    For this length of race one or two bananas will probably suffice, they do for me anyway. The most important factor is a decent carb loading supper, I.e. pasta and a good slow carb releasing breakfast like porridge, good luck and welcome to fell running
    Thanks for suggestions, any type of energy drink worth trying before race, or is it all in the food taken?
    Obviously I'll need to be hydrated, but will water on it's own do the job?

This may all seem a bit fussy, but I've read on many occasions that what you put down you can have a big bearing on how you perform.

rs2315.

Don't think you need to do much for the shorter races. Most are 1pm starts (BOFRA) but Kilnsey is later.

For a 1pm start I just have a normal breakfast and then a banana or something late morning. If hot then have plenty to drink and this may be lucozade sport. I try not to eat within two hours of the start.

Bit more difficult with a mid afternoon start when you do need a light lunch. Again I just stick to the two hour rule. At a show you may want to take sandwiches because often there are only burgers on offer!

Good luck, and see you at most of these.

Don't worry about food for these races, far too short. The average person has enough carb stores to sustain 60-90 mins of running anyway so it's largely irrelevant. If you're planning on the short races I would recommend doing some explosive hill reps to get used to running fast uphill and make sure you get a good warm up beforehand with some sprints to kick start your system. Have fun, they're a good laugh
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Don't worry about food for these races, far too short. The average person has enough carb stores to sustain 60-90 mins of running anyway so it's largely irrelevant. If you're planning on the short races I would recommend doing some explosive hill reps to get used to running fast uphill and make sure you get a good warm up beforehand with some sprints to kick start your system. Have fun, they're a good laugh
    You will not deplete your muscle glycogen stores in a short race but overnight your hepatic glycogen stores will diminish considerably so do have something before the race - my choice would be porridge with a sliced ripe banana, raisins and honey; toast with jam would be a good alternative. I try to finish eating 3 hours before a race but sometimes - if staying in a B+B for example, this is not possible.