Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-race food and drink??

Re: Pre-race food and drink??

most important thing for this length of race is a decent warm up

i wouldn't be put off longer races, just run them with a realistic expectation.

the problem with races is that they can have a negative effect if you finish further down the pack than you'd like - but you could be against runners for whom this is the biggest race of the season/have time to train/are naturally suited to fell running. Couple this with your own personal factors (fatigue, a recent long run still in the legs) and it's easy to get disheartened.

just enjoy your time on the hill, if you want to make a target for yourself then aim to be 1 minute quicker next year!

Quote Originally Posted by barnyc View Post
    most important thing for this length of race is a decent warm up

i wouldn't be put off longer races, just run them with a realistic expectation.

the problem with races is that they can have a negative effect if you finish further down the pack than you'd like - but you could be against runners for whom this is the biggest race of the season/have time to train/are naturally suited to fell running. Couple this with your own personal factors (fatigue, a recent long run still in the legs) and it's easy to get disheartened.

just enjoy your time on the hill, if you want to make a target for yourself then aim to be 1 minute quicker next year!
    Yep the warm up seems to be crucial.
    I've learnt in training I don't come on song till about 15 mins in.
    Just like an engine, don't thrash it until oil is hot.

Just 7 day's to go now till Coniston.
    On BOFRA site say's 12 noon kick off, but can someone confirm exact senior start time.
    Not to sure if their running all age groups this time??

Thanks.
    rs2315.

Quote Originally Posted by rs2315 View Post
    On BOFRA site say's 12 noon kick off, but can someone confirm exact senior start time.

Thanks.
    rs2315.
    You're not likely to get any sort of confirmed time, they usually run juniors first at BOFRA events, but the timings seem to vary a great deal depending on what's going on. I usually turn up around the time of the first race and take my time getting registered and nattering etc. till the senior race kicks off
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

The reason I'm concentrating on the shorter stuff is I have a young family and only have time for short training sessions, so low weekly mileage.
    This wouldn't get me to far on the medium/long FRA stuff.

The BOFRA stuff seems to be just the ticket for me at the moment.
    You can get by just fine on a low weekly mileage as long as the intensity is there. There is a great book called "The Crunched Time Cyclist" which is well worth a read. The programmes doing 6-8 hours a week can easily be adapted from cycling to fell running. It would get you round a Fairfield / Anniversary Waltz length race too.

Hope you can get to Coniston Gullies as it is a wonderful race.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Just 7 day's to go now till Coniston.
    U9s go first at noon, followed by U12, U14, U17 races, then the senior race last. The U17 race will take 20-25 minutes for everyone to come back so I tend to start my warmup as they head off.

So it is normally 1:15 or so by the time the senior race starts. But that is part of the fun of BOFRA being ready for when they call everyone for the start.

The field at Coniston is great for the family too just to hang about too.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    You can get by just fine on a low weekly mileage as long as the intensity is there. There is a great book called "The Crunched Time Cyclist" which is well worth a read. The programmes doing 6-8 hours a week can easily be adapted from cycling to fell running. It would get you round a Fairfield / Anniversary Waltz length race too.

Hope you can get to Coniston Gullies as it is a wonderful race.
    All this info on training for the mediums, I'm going to be running out of excuses not to run a few.
    May be next year:wink:

I'll be there for the gullies, chomping at the bit.

rs2315.

Thanks for the timings.

Just hope I get my timing right.

If you see a guy hopping on one leg trying to get his trackie bottoms off with a sandwhich hanging from his gob as the field disappears up the field, then you'll know that was me.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.
    Can't wait for the big day:thumbup:

rs2315.

Good luck rs, no matter the time just have fun. As for food and drink - hydration for me is an all time thing not just leading up to training/racing. I have to have my 1.5ltrs a day :-). Food, I need at least 3hrs between me running and my porridge. On the bike I can chomp my way through a family bag of revels with no side effect. Its all trial and error at the end of the day. As for the end of a long run of 2hrs plus, I need my cheese and jam sandwich or I will literally be sick (choose your own sandwich combination)
    Anyway, that is my way :-)

Banned

I did most of the series last year and I got used to having a Gel just before the start.
    I usually had about 90mins or more travelling so it just topped up the carbs befor the race.
    Didn't do me any harm.
    See you at Coniston (my Race No is 106) say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Good luck rs, no matter the time just have fun. As for food and drink - hydration for me is an all time thing not just leading up to training/racing. I have to have my 1.5ltrs a day :-). Food, I need at least 3hrs between me running and my porridge. On the bike I can chomp my way through a family bag of revels with no side effect. Its all trial and error at the end of the day. As for the end of a long run of 2hrs plus, I need my cheese and jam sandwich or I will literally be sick (choose your own sandwich combination)
    Anyway, that is my way :-)
    Thanks for your contribution, I think over time I'll find the right food ,drink intake. As I gain experience I'm hoping it will become second nature.

cheers.
    rs2315.