Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Re: Welsh 1000s Race

Quote Originally Posted by RhosgadMath View Post
    Aye, I've always found it easy making a call on such decisions when being located more than 3500 miles away from that spot.

Forescast changed, it was still torrential rain at 1100hrs at the Baywatch 10k so who know's how it was on the Carneddau.

Quite a few came over to do Baywatch after finding out the Carneddau had been dropped, apparently in place they ran on that minor road from Aber - TalyBont, past Hendre Hall, Llanllechid, Bethesda and along the cycle track to Ogwen!!!....shame if I'd have know that would've done it!
    Does a web forecast decline with accuracy in distance away from said forecast... but wind is the issue.. not rain...

Anyway forget welsh runners can't run in cloud...

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post

Anyway forget welsh runners can't run in cloud...
    Aye, unfortunately you left us with that reputation after your debacle in Foel Fras a few years back, inconceivably, now you've switched back to the Red Rose, you've given the English a reputation for not being able to run in the heat.......

Aye, unfortunately you left us with that reputation after your debacle in Foel Fras a few years back, inconceivably, now you've switched back to the Red Rose, you've given the English a reputation for not being able to run in the heat.......
    That was wind... and if I remember at least I had the bottle to start said race...

We'll see come the 21st July when its 28 Deg C, three film camera's fixed on you in that red vest... then we'll see who can run in heat..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    That was wind... and if I remember at least I had the bottle to start said race...

We'll see come the 21st July when its 28 Deg C, three film camera's fixed on you in that red vest... then we'll see who can run in heat..
    Ha!...as was proved at Cadair - where it was 30 deg C a 6 minute gap unfathomably developed, push it up to 35 degree I say....

Anyway more importantly - just spoken to Gilbo re: today's route - you'll love this.

So they took road to Ogwen and were going to head up Cwm Tryfan and down to Cwmffynnon and Pen Pass, anyway that was changed en-route and they ended heading up Bochlwyd and down to PenGwryd and up road to Pen Pass, so within first 18 mile there were around 15 of road - gutted I didn't do it.

Ha!...as was proved at Cadair - where it was 30 deg C a 6 minute gap unfathomably developed, push it up to 35 degree I say....

Anyway more importantly - just spoken to Gilbo re: today's route - you'll love this.

So they took road to Ogwen and were going to head up Cwm Tryfan and down to Cwmffynnon and Pen Pass, anyway that was changed en-route and they ended heading up Bochlwyd and down to PenGwryd and up road to Pen Pass, so within first 18 mile there were around 15 of road - gutted I didn't do it.
    Hardly any road Math, puddles mainly!

Looks like I picked a good year for a sabbatical.
    How did the weather compare to 2009?

Who took the road to Ogwen?
    There was a section on the road but was only 2-3 miles, right choice in my opinion and i respect the organisers decision. Was freezing on top of Snowdon so spending a few hours on top of Carneddau would have been dangerous.

enjoyed that
    love to know where the RO got his forecast from, but it was spot on
    Carneddau would've been miserable (esp for marshals)
    a bonus "warm-up" race as far as Ogwen, which I took nice 'n' easy (admiring the astonishing amounts of water streaming off the hillsides)
    then started catching a few people up (mostly in other classes) including a nice wade through Llyn Bochlwyd outflow, and a very wet (but fun) descent to PYG hotel
    snapped by Pete Douglas in PYP car-park (photos are up already!)
    like Karno's Picnic on the Pyg track with a surprisingly large number of walkers
    freezing in the wind once the fingerpost was reached
    Many Thanks to the lady marshal huddled in a tent on Garnedd Ugain
    then finished!
    quick cuppa in cafe
    jog back down, slowly warming back up again, cloud down to about 600m even at 3pm
    caught up fjell_guy & fjell_gal and had a good chat/walk down to the bottom

got to go from Aber to Snowdon, which is what appealed to me about the route in the first place, so put me down as a happy camper on this one :thumbup:
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 09-06-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

What a disappointment and let down.

If the committee had made an early call yesterday and I could have seen it on their website before leaving work around 1230 I would not have wasted my time or money travelling for such a farcical event.

Yes it was windy, yes it was raining, yes it was very wet under foot with high tribs but really changing the route ....... is the Welsh 1000m supposed to be a run in arduous countryside or what. And forget all that trying to place the guilt on you by saying 'in the interests of the CP staff' - they are best placed to have a fantastic day curled up in a tent in warm kit and sleeping bags.

Unfortunately I did not see any of the forumite numbers to have a chat with.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Hmm it was a tough call, and the weather was admittidly much worse than forecast. However, the wind had died down and I personally feel the race shouldn't have been altered. It was wet, granted, but I don't think that in itself should have meant the alteration that it did - the race is meant to be one of the toughest in the country after all.

Having said that, I completely understand that its easy for me to say that and I wholeheartedly respect the decision of the RO - it can't be easy making such decisions with such a responsibility. And anyway, I thouroughly enjoyed the race, as did everyone else I spoke to, so at the end of the day, does it matter if the route was a little different!? Already looking forward to next year!