Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

Re: Welsh 1000s Race

Aye fair play, don't know that any of the whingers on here have ever organised a race.

More importantly news just filtering through - didn't realise this was a selector race for the Welsh team for the World Long Mountain running champs, looks as if Rich and Fortes are in again, who was 3rd today?...by looks of pictures was it Blakey?

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    What a disappointment and let down.

If the committee had made an early call yesterday and I could have seen it on their website before leaving work around 1230 I would not have wasted my time or money travelling for such a farcical event.

Yes it was windy, yes it was raining, yes it was very wet under foot with high tribs but really changing the route ....... is the Welsh 1000m supposed to be a run in arduous countryside or what. And forget all that trying to place the guilt on you by saying 'in the interests of the CP staff' - they are best placed to have a fantastic day curled up in a tent in warm kit and sleeping bags.

Unfortunately I did not see any of the forumite numbers to have a chat with.
    Bloody hell.. watch it.. I received not one.. but two letters of reprimand by the Eryri committee for saying less than that...

Fact is at the moment 95% of races are non-profit ran by volunteers.. so basically all you can do is have your say, politely let the organiser know your thoughts, and then do or do not do the race again.. But with pro race organisers times are changing .. so that could change.. those races will then be paying their marshalls to be on the summits and the runners paying inflated fees so should have a subsequent say on the routes they want...

If I lived outside of North Wales I'd be wary of traveling to races I think likely to be shortened prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by RhosgadMath View Post
    Aye fair play, don't know that any of the whingers on here have ever organised a race.

More importantly news just filtering through - didn't realise this was a selector race for the Welsh team for the World Long Mountain running champs, looks as if Rich and Fortes are in again, who was 3rd today?...by looks of pictures was it Blakey?
    Says the man who has single handedly destroyed Eryri's British Championship hopes... under your tutor-age... we're now just a drinking club.. under my guidance we were 4th in the British fell relays.. well 3rd until you got the batton if I remember correctly... and 4th in the Championship before being ousted for a big name...

Aye Blakey's in.. Any news on the women? Did 3 run?

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    What a disappointment and let down.

If the committee had made an early call yesterday and I could have seen it on their website before leaving work around 1230 I would not have wasted my time or money travelling for such a farcical event.

Yes it was windy, yes it was raining, yes it was very wet under foot with high tribs but really changing the route ....... is the Welsh 1000m supposed to be a run in arduous countryside or what. And forget all that trying to place the guilt on you by saying 'in the interests of the CP staff' - they are best placed to have a fantastic day curled up in a tent in warm kit and sleeping bags.

Unfortunately I did not see any of the forumite numbers to have a chat with.
    Assume you withdrew from the race and ran the full 1000's route then?
    The time that you leave work has nothing to do with the organisers, nor does the distance you are travelling to get there. Its about safety and is their decision to make based solely on that, it sounds like they left it as late as possible in the hope of the forecast/weather improving.
    Why not offer to organise it yourself next year?

What's with the snivelling? Looks like a bunch of happy campers to me!
    Don't leave your empties on the hill!

I suppose if the decision had been made earlier then the race would have in fact gone ahead on the full route, as it wasn't until the evening that the forecast started getting worse. As I said anyway, although I think the full race should have gone ahead and it's a shame it didn't, I thoroughly enjoyed the alternative and definitely don't blame the RO for making what must be an incredibly tough decision.

Anyway, snivelling aside, does anyone know what time the winner did it in (A class)?

Rich Roberts won in 3:28:53, he pipped me by about 20 seconds- just couldnt quite hang on to him at the end!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    What's with the snivelling? Looks like a bunch of happy campers to me!
    People like to talk about races.. same with people bleating on because they saw 1 gel wrapper... :-)

Anyway the proof is in race numbers.. which is normally woefully low in Snowdonia.. Tuesday evening races will get up to 120 runners.. the big classics, 50-70... in the lakes they'd be 4 times that number.. it means easy wins but it also means some races are barely feasible.

I think its fine for people to say they respect the call but wished the full route was ran.. if I'd not been in a winning position in the Peris when it was shortened I'd have ran the full route..

I'm actually a bit surprised, due to insurance regulations, we don't have formal or even informal guidelines on weather.. it could just be a simple graph with wind and temperature and below that line a race should be considered to be shortened.. that way runners would have far more idea if a full race will be ran..

I ran and had a bloody good day out.