Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Welsh 1000s Race

I found a pretty good line down last time I did this (2019), by luck rather than anything else. I aimed for the westerly point of the llyn and ended up in a shallow, mostly grassy gully. This brought me down to the remains of a stone structure which I assume is a sheepfold. The walls are shown on the OS map but it isn't noted as anything (looks a bit like a tadpole shape!). From memory there was a trod to Pen y Pass from here.
    I've checked my split and it was 20mins which seems reasonable compared to others on the day and considering descending isn't my strong point.

With reluctance I am having to withdraw from this years race. My groin strain from Ras Y Gader has not settled down and I think it would be irresponsible to risk it on such a serious encounter. It would probably be OK on the uphill's but downhill would be a different matter.

I'm doubly disappointed due to missing out on the new venue which sounds like it will make it a great weekend but the decision is made.

A bit of rest and hopefully I'll be ready for The Wincle Trout Run on the 10th June and Pen y Fan on 9th July
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 30-05-2023 at 10:18 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Shame Llani, it is one of the best races on the calendar, and along with Buttermere and Wasdale, the long race is just about as hard as it gets.

I was all set for another go at the short course this year.... however the changes in the management/structure of the event have put me off sadly (along with my comments in the fell racing ethics thread, i seem to be getting increasingly cynical in my old age!)

I have always sorted my own accommodation, registered the night before, whether that be in Llanberis or Capel Curig, then turned up at the start on saturday morning (whether at the coast or at Ogwen) of my own accord.

This is now not an option and it is mandatory to get yourself to Llanberis and then be coached in to the start. Along with the fact that the entry fee is now £33 (which is about the same as i paid for the Y3P so i'm not against paying for it, but it is also £33 for the short course, which i think is shocking!)

It all seems to me designed to turn it into an event rather than a race. I just want to turn up at the start and give it my all, not become involved in camping, coach travel, etc.

So sadly this year decided it was not for me.

I thought the £33 entry fee was good value considering it included 2 nights camping at Capel Curig, coach transport to the start and then transport back from Pen y Pass.

But can I see that for someone like you Travs who just wants to turn up and go then it can all seem a bit of a faff.

To be fair to the organisers, I do not think they are trying to turn it into a trail type event but with limited manpower and funds are just trying to keep the logistics as manageable as possible.

Hopefully I can do it next year and have a spare tent you can borrow Travs. I'll even pitch it for you
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Organising a point to point event is always tricky. Back in the day, just turning up and racing it was great fun but required quite a bit of car shuttling and twisting of arms for driving help etc. I'll be interested to hear what people think after this years event.
    Anyway, for anyone who wants to do an event just as tough (if not tougher) in the same terrain with no transport issues there is always the fearsome Peris Horseshoe
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Organising a point to point event is always tricky. Back in the day, just turning up and racing it was great fun but required quite a bit of car shuttling and twisting of arms for driving help etc. I'll be interested to hear what people think after this years event.
    Anyway, for anyone who wants to do an event just as tough (if not tougher) in the same terrain with no transport issues there is always the fearsome Peris Horseshoe
    I personally think the W1000 is marginally harder than Peris, and is up there with Buttermere and Wasdale as the hardest race on the calendar. The sheer scale of the climbs sets it apart for me... although overall the terrain is probably more difficult on Peris.

Peris is my favourite race of all.
    Last edited by Travs; 08-06-2023 at 12:16 PM.

It's easy to go too hard on the early part of the 1000m leaving yourself with nothing in the tank for the assault of Yr Wyddfa. In that respect, Peris is easier to judge......its 'kin ard from the get go!😳

I did the W1000 short course last year and it felt like a mere "sprint" over the Glyders and up Snowdon!

I made a slight hash of the descent to Pen-Y-Pass and absolutely bowled across the road and shot up the first part of the Pyg Track like i was doing a flat race, trying to pull a couple of positions back... when i reach that point on the full course i'm usually considering my foot placement very carefully in order to fend off cramp.