Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Aggies Staircase

Do you ever think about your former work colleagues? I used to work with a guy called Neil who had a travel portfolio that would put Michael Palin to shame. If you randomly pointed at countries on a world map, Neil would've been. Nothing particularly strange about this as plenty of people love to travel. What I could never get my head around with Neil is the fact he was Darwen born and bred but had never been up Jubilee Tower, more commonly known has Darwen Tower....yet he'd think nothing of visiting somewhere like North korea.

How is this possible? Overlooking the town you've always lived is a bloody great rocket...or so it seems. At some point surely curiosity would get the better of you? I've not seen Neil for years, he left work and went travelling. I wonder if he's finally made a trip up to the Tower...for Neil's sake I hope he has...on a clear day you can even see Chorley, what an incentive.

Darwen Tower brings out the traveller in me. Not the type of travel that Neil relishes, I'm thinking somewhere even he's not visited....space. Admittedly my head is occasionally in the clouds but blimey this structure looks like a Space Rocket.

On the race start line is it a coincidence that instead of the usual shout of GO or the blowing of a whistle we're given a countdown....5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    My thoughts start to drift: "This is ground control to Major Tom. Commencing countdown mudclaws on"

Back to reality and we're off....fast start needed if you want to avoid the bottle neck on the path that leads to the moors. It's not long before we get our first view of the Tower and continue our upwards slog. There's always a good few spectators gathered at it's base offering shouts of encouragement...thanks Jackie.
    Once at the Tower, drop around the back and let yourself go down the track only to start climbing again, this time through rough bracken which really saps the legs of energy.

After a flat section we drop down to start the climb up Aggies Staircase, which is basically an eroded trod up the hillside...a fence can be used for a handrail if required. If you've anything left put your foot down for the fast runnable return.

Many thanks to all the Dashers..."This is ground control, you've really made the grade".
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Results for anybody who's not on Facebook/Twitter

http://dashers.org.uk/events/aggies-staircase/ag16
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Do you ever think about your former work colleagues? I used to work with a guy called Neil who had a travel portfolio that would put Michael Palin to shame. If you randomly pointed at countries on a world map, Neil would've been. Nothing particularly strange about this as plenty of people love to travel. What I could never get my head around with Neil is the fact he was Darwen born and bred but had never been up Jubilee Tower, more commonly known has Darwen Tower....yet he'd think nothing of visiting somewhere like North korea.

How is this possible? Overlooking the town you've always lived is a bloody great rocket...or so it seems. At some point surely curiosity would get the better of you? I've not seen Neil for years, he left work and went travelling. I wonder if he's finally made a trip up to the Tower...for Neil's sake I hope he has...on a clear day you can even see Chorley, what an incentive.

Darwen Tower brings out the traveller in me. Not the type of travel that Neil relishes, I'm thinking somewhere even he's not visited....space. Admittedly my head is occasionally in the clouds but blimey this structure looks like a Space Rocket.

On the race start line is it a coincidence that instead of the usual shout of GO or the blowing of a whistle we're given a countdown....5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    My thoughts start to drift: "This is ground control to Major Tom. Commencing countdown mudclaws on"

Back to reality and we're off....fast start needed if you want to avoid the bottle neck on the path that leads to the moors. It's not long before we get our first view of the Tower and continue our upwards slog. There's always a good few spectators gathered at it's base offering shouts of encouragement...thanks Jackie.
    Once at the Tower, drop around the back and let yourself go down the track only to start climbing again, this time through rough bracken which really saps the legs of energy.

After a flat section we drop down to start the climb up Aggies Staircase, which is basically an eroded trod up the hillside...a fence can be used for a handrail if required. If you've anything left put your foot down for the fast runnable return.

Many thanks to all the Dashers..."This is ground control, you've really made the grade".
    Great write up Daz. I see this rocket (as you call it) each day as I drive to work. Your analogy to 5-4-3-2-1 doesn't go unnoticed as I call this structure *thunderbird one* so the countdown to the start of the race must have had some meaning. THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO !
    See the light in the night

2017 results;

http://dashers.org.uk/events/aggies-staircase/Ag17

Wins for Ben Fish (Blackburn Harriers) and Ruth Jones (Salford Harriers)

I got bitten to buggery by midges at the start last week. Currently resemble SuperTed's sidekick.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Ian Brown View Post
    I got bitten to buggery by midges at the start last week. Currently resemble SuperTed's sidekick.
    Me too mate, before & after! Happens every year, we need a camp fire