Thread: Beetroot

Beetroot

Thought I'd start a new thread here away from the Recession thread...

Anyway, I know certain forumites have their doubts about this but, having looked at a lot of the research, spoken to various elite athletes and tried it myself, there does seem to be something to this. Studies on nitrate supplementation and exercise go back to 2007. Yes the link to this study is via a company with a vested interest but the study was conducted before the company existed.

http://www.beet-it.com/files/effects...ry_nitrate.pdf

As an study, the methodology seems sound and ongoing work, especially at the University of Exeter, seems to be backing it up.

I first heard about it in a pub after one of the Human Race Off-Road Duathlons. I was with Richard Stannard (top GB triathlete) who'd just come second (I'd managed a reasonable 8th) and he was raving about beetroot juice and how all the pros were using it. I looked into it and gave it a go. Once I'd got over the rank taste (I hate beetroot) and pink pee and poo, I certainly felt stronger and, on the bike especially, was posting faster splits late on in training rides. This was on 500 ml per day.

I'm now trying the Beet-It concentrated shots that give you the same amount of nitrates but in a 70ml dose. I'm taking them in the week leading up to the HellRider (8 hour trail run/mountain bike enduro) next weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Anyone else given it a go?

Re: Beetroot

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Thought I'd start a new thread here away from the Recession thread...

Anyway, I know certain forumites have their doubts about this but, having looked at a lot of the research, spoken to various elite athletes and tried it myself, there does seem to be something to this. Studies on nitrate supplementation and exercise go back to 2007. Yes the link to this study is via a company with a vested interest but the study was conducted before the company existed.

http://www.beet-it.com/files/effects...ry_nitrate.pdf

As an study, the methodology seems sound and ongoing work, especially at the University of Exeter, seems to be backing it up.

I first heard about it in a pub after one of the Human Race Off-Road Duathlons. I was with Richard Stannard (top GB triathlete) who'd just come second (I'd managed a reasonable 8th) and he was raving about beetroot juice and how all the pros were using it. I looked into it and gave it a go. Once I'd got over the rank taste (I hate beetroot) and pink pee and poo, I certainly felt stronger and, on the bike especially, was posting faster splits late on in training rides. This was on 500 ml per day.

I'm now trying the Beet-It concentrated shots that give you the same amount of nitrates but in a 70ml dose. I'm taking them in the week leading up to the HellRider (8 hour trail run/mountain bike enduro) next weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Anyone else given it a go?
    Judging by Facebook my old cycling coach swears by the stuff. It hasn't done him any harm either - he's a world masters champ and world record holder for his age group!

Where do you get this magic elixir from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Judging by Facebook my old cycling coach swears by the stuff. It hasn't done him any harm either - he's a world masters champ and world record holder for his age group!

Where do you get this magic elixir from?
    Cheapest I've found is on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beet-It-Conc...7853511&sr=1-1

Works out at £1.39/day... I don't use it the whole time, just in the week leading up to an important race.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Cheapest I've found is on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beet-It-Conc...7853511&sr=1-1

Works out at £1.39/day... I don't use it the whole time, just in the week leading up to an important race.
    Couldn't you just blend some beetroots?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Couldn't you just blend some beetroots?
    I guess so but I've no idea of the volume you'd need to get the required nitrates dose. Plus, I'm lazy, it'd be a purple mess and the smell would make me gag.

Absolutely agree on the taste. Was tempted to give it a go, but I'm doing well off Chia seeds at the minute.

Those shots look quite handy though!

I'm eating nothing but quinoa, beetroot, turkey, pinole and chia at the moment.

The family are encouraging me to get out running more as then the house smell less.