Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clough Head ascent

Clough Head ascent

Forgive me if this has been raised before but what is the best line up after crossing all the bogs and streams and reaching the road? Do I carry on up the old road (c.250m) before going right or do I take the line that I saw some use in the Helvellyn & the Dodds race where theywere taking a direct route to the summit, right of the stream? Which do you BGR Dons suggest? :-)

Cheers

John

Re: Clough Head ascent

Quote Originally Posted by Toast_under_beans View Post
    Forgive me if this has been raised before but what is the best line up after crossing all the bogs and streams and reaching the road? Do I carry on up the old road (c.250m) before going right or do I take the line that I saw some use in the Helvellyn & the Dodds race where theywere taking a direct route to the summit, right of the stream? Which do you BGR Dons suggest? :-)

Cheers

John
    Recent discussions have favoured the a rising ascent from the stile on the Old Coach Road that take you out to the White Pike ridge, once you've gone out wide enough there is a very distinct trod. I'd recommend it, it's much easier on the legs than the "direct" ascent. Did it on Becca's round the other night in rotten conditions, 55 mins and it felt easy. I could probably find you a nice bit of GPS trace if you want it.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

THank you , I'll DM you my email. Cheers!

From the gate by Newsham House, if you aim direct for the foot of the ridge then you avoid all the boggy bits. I did this on my round and was comfortably under 50mins.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

I've always gone straight up over the stile after you pass the Old Coach - depends if you like the climbing - normally takes about 45mins and there is now a clear trod appearing on the last 3rd of the slope - after the stile go pretty much straight and as you pick up the trod higher up the path curves right to hit the ridge on lovely ground about 200m from the summit cairn

Yes forgot about the boggy bits - after leaving Newsham house the path bears right towards the fence/ wall and this line is never very boggy esp this time of year. I think you must be aiming straight at the Old Coach - try going right and you and your feet will feel better...

Thanks Bob, when you say aim for the foot of the ridge this is the far eastern end of the ridge?

Quote Originally Posted by el pearson View Post
    I've always gone straight up over the stile after you pass the Old Coach - depends if you like the climbing - normally takes about 45mins and there is now a clear trod appearing on the last 3rd of the slope - after the stile go pretty much straight and as you pick up the trod higher up the path curves right to hit the ridge on lovely ground about 200m from the summit cairn
    45 minutes from Threlkeld to summit??? That's fast ..... I think we did the "direct" ascent on Dave A's round last year in about 48 - 49 minutes and that felt hard. Probably because it was!!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Understood regarding the bog, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by el pearson View Post
    Yes forgot about the boggy bits - after leaving Newsham house the path bears right towards the fence/ wall and this line is never very boggy esp this time of year. I think you must be aiming straight at the Old Coach - try going right and you and your feet will feel better...
    Just as a matter of interest, has anyone noticed that there is a luminous reflector pad on each end of the railway carriage?? I had a peek at them a few weeks back, looks like they've been there for a number of years. Still highly effective though!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners