Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Yomp

The Yomp

Anyone doing The Yomp tomorrow (formerly known as The Mallerstang Horseshoe/Nine Standards) from Kirkby Stephen. The long one is 23m and around 4000'. They are accepting entries on the day http://www.yomp.org/index.htm registration from 07:00 am and mass start at 08:00 but you can start anytime between 08:00 and 10:00 for the long one.

Re: The Yomp

That was a good long Sunday run . There were some strong cold winds on the hill tops round the route so I hope the BGers were ok today ? They definitely spoil you in these LDWA events. Its the first time I have seen portaloos at a couple of checkpoints :thumbup:

I did the yomp today in 4.11.
    Carl Bell first in 2:48

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    I did the yomp today in 4.11.
    Carl Bell first in 2:48
    Nice one Geronimo. I couldn't make it to registration in time but a run out on the Howgills today confirmed that it would have a been a tad windy...

Next year I'll be a yomper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    That was a good long Sunday run . There were some strong cold winds on the hill tops round the route so I hope the BGers were ok today ? They definitely spoil you in these LDWA events. Its the first time I have seen portaloos at a couple of checkpoints :thumbup:
    It was a windy day. Portaloos might have helped prevent embarassing diversions of 'flow'...

Super Moderator

Anyone having a run out on Sunday?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

If I can sort my feet out I think I will come- but it will be a slow plod for me this year.

Well this was a great day out - a cracking route, which is naggingly runnable all of the way round i found - (esp. as the route up Wild Boar is ona sly little traverse rather than up the main walkers path). Well marked, marshalled and organised - beauty weather. Many thanks to all involved.

What a fantastically organised event, well actually there's 3 events running at once. The Short Yomp...The Half Yomp...The Full Yomp.

I opted for The Full Yomp ( category BL, 23 miles 4350ft ). All races are open to walkers and runners, with walkers setting off an hour before the runners.

The weather today was stifling and brought back memories of the scorching conditions encountered at Wasdale in 2013. When on the tops today I thought we'd get a nice breeze, no such luck. One of the magnificent marshals said it was the hottest he'd ever known it. Really appreciated the water stations that were present at every dibber check point. It looked like a guy on a quad bike had transported water to the summits, thank you.

The course is extremely well marked with red and white tape...blimey, this must've took some effort by the organisers. The views were stunning with the full horseshoe route visible once you arrived on the fells. I don't mind admitting to being completely sapped of energy when the climbs were encountered, totally drained by the heat...but it's the same for everyone so dig deep and Yomp on. Whenever a walker is passed more often than not shouts of encouragement were exchanged, it's a cracking atmosphere throughout the race.

When I arrived at The Nine Standards it felt criminal to be running on by and not taking in these magical cairns and the amazing views of Cross Fell, Howgills and I'm almost certain I could see High Street over in the lakes. If I'd have been concentrating more on foot placement I'd probably not have tripped and brought on a massive cramp attack. A walker saw me pull up and offered to massage my legs...I did say it was a friendly event...for the record, I declined. Once the cramp had subsided I couldn't help licking my arms to get a salt fix...I must've looked a right knob?

At the finish, like all events with dibber controls, your time and position are printed instantly. It's then off for a brew and butties ( all included in race fee).

Thanks to all concerned...beltin.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Great event but could not make it this year sadly. Bet it was hot on one tops!