Thread: Jura 2000/2001 question

Jura 2000/2001 question

I'd always thought that Jura was run as normal in 2000 and then due to a ferry strike had a reduced field in 2001. I remember speaking to Mark Rigby about a chartered boat to get round it.

However I'm now wondering if the ferry strike was in 2000 and the race cancelled in 2001 due to Foot and Mouth.

There were 111 finishers in 2000 against 114 in 1999, so doesn't seem to have been affected by Ferry issues (maybe they resolved strike at last minute). In addition there are no results listed on the Jura Fell Race site for 2001
    Don't leave your empties on the hill!

Re: Jura 2000/2001 question

The ferry strike (2000) was resolved in time - ultimately it never really affected the race.
    The 2001 race was cancelled, as were many others, because of the foot and mouth restrictions. A handful of runners still went to Jura, however, and an impromptu run (not really a race) was organised which just covered the Paps.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The ferry strike (2000) was resolved in time - ultimately it never really affected the race.
    The 2001 race was cancelled, as were many others, because of the foot and mouth restrictions. A handful of runners still went to Jura, however, and an impromptu run (not really a race) was organised which just covered the Paps.
    Wasn't that totally illegal?

I thought the hills didn't open up until late that summer?

I know in Snowdonia people climbed at a few sites which were still allowed but the fell runners had a grim summer doing any sort of race possible just to keep running..

My re-collection was that large areas of , certainly, northern scotland were open but with restrictions such as boot/tyre dips etc. I was up doing munro's if I remember correctly. Possibly in Glen Lyon? Possibly islands were fairly open to walkers etc.? I think races were cancelled as the virus could be spread as much by large movements of individuals around the country and the fact fell races visited areas were cattle etc were in abundance. I wouldn't claim a great knowledge tho to be fair.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    My re-collection was that large areas of , certainly, northern scotland were open but with restrictions such as boot/tyre dips etc. I was up doing munro's if I remember correctly. Possibly in Glen Lyon? Possibly islands were fairly open to walkers etc.? I think races were cancelled as the virus could be spread as much by large movements of individuals around the country and the fact fell races visited areas were cattle etc were in abundance. I wouldn't claim a great knowledge tho to be fair.

I'm surprised if it was Glen Lyon, the landowner there is pretty much anti-access, you used to have to walk the North Glen Lyon Munro's in a certain direction.. as that was what he wanted... and he banned access for months of the year due to hunting..

I thought the highlands were shut, I was climbing in Glencoe in February and remember them shutting the glen the day we left.. early Feb IIRC...

Like I say I'm not too sure myself if I'm honest. I'd need to check my munro book. You're probably right about Glen Lyon, I thnk they had a locked gate there and time was limited in and out, I don't actually recall 'tyre baths' there now I think about it. I think I'd probably bow to your knowledge until I looked at info I might have.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Wasn't that totally illegal?

I thought the hills didn't open up until late that summer?
    I think different land owners reacted differently to the situation. We certainly spent quite a bit of time motoring to Scotland where access was far better than in the Lakes, although (as on Jura) there were disinfectant dips. In the caving sphere, many of the cavers from the Yorkshire Dales were coming down to the Peak where access to quite a few systems was being maintained too.