Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Tired.

Running Tired.

Here's a question. I went out and did 10 mile today, on the road. I was feeling tired from Welsh 1000 metres race, I felt it was a good idea to go out get some miles in anyway. It wasn't the easiest or fastest 10 miler I've ever done, but it felt like a really good run. Obviously most people, including myself in the past, run 5 or 6 times a week or so, so run on consecutive days and/or tired regularly.

My question for the panel is...what, if anything extra, is a tired 10 miler worth!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Re: Running Tired.

I suffered the same after Boston Marathon ran well, took a day off, flew transatlantic, thought I'd feel refreshed, trained for 42 days straight, around 450 miles of running, raced and felt tired still.. clearly that day off impacted on me.. stupidly took another day off and flew back to the US.. still feeling tired, trained 14 days straight, another 160 miles, still tired.. rest days don't work..

When do you not run tired? I only try to peak for maybe 3 races a year and consistent medicority shows it doesn't help.. I ran 2:44 marathon off a 2 week taper.. and 2:46 off winning a 50 miler the weekend before.. and 2:42 off no rest at at all..

Generally though I think steady 9-10 milers work.. not too slow.. within a minute/90 sec of marathon pace at least.. so low 7 min milings for me, just help build your aerobic base.

I think most fell runners do too few middle distance road runs at a steady pace.. 10-13 milers mid week..

lol You're a mite quicker than I am IainR!! You're mediocrity is my dream speed!! I only really 'peak' for 3-5 races a year, partially due to my work (4 on, 4 off). I'm lucky if I get a good long off-road run once a week so have to get in medium distance road runs. I try and do a medium/long run on my turn around from days to nights. Even off my tiny amounts of training, I do a lot of tired training. A long run in the lakes buggers me!!
    Last edited by that_fjell_guy; 15-06-2012 at 10:48 PM.

I would suggest that if you go out and run 10mile on the roads, when your already tired/bit sore from running hard a day or two beforehand, then your wasting your time. 100% sure you are doing more harm than good to your body. You might as well be at home having fun with the wifey Rest is as important as training, the wife is as important as running :P
    Last edited by TheReverand; 16-06-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    Here's a question. I went out and did 10 mile today, on the road. I was feeling tired from Welsh 1000 metres race, I felt it was a good idea to go out get some miles in anyway. It wasn't the easiest or fastest 10 miler I've ever done, but it felt like a really good run. Obviously most people, including myself in the past, run 5 or 6 times a week or so, so run on consecutive days and/or tired regularly.

My question for the panel is...what, if anything extra, is a tired 10 miler worth!?
    If you enjoyed it then it was worth doing for that reason alone. We run for pleasure (and the occasional coaster/beer bottle/t shirt) and none of us are making any money out of this game!

As far as improving your running performance then, no, it'll achieve nothing. But then a vague '10 mile, on the road' was never going to achieve much anyway, tired or not.

I don't think that's true. Farrah runs 130 mile a week, I suspect many of his 10-15 milers are on tired legs..

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I don't think that's true. Farrah runs 130 mile a week, I suspect many of his 10-15 milers are on tired legs..
    With respect Iain; you're not Farah and neither is the OP.

Yeah but it does provide benefits, hence why he does it..

The reason I asked was because it actually felt quite good, in a slightly masochistic sort of way. I didnt run it particularly hard and it felt like I'd done a 13-15 miler at steady pace. Also, at present my running is fairly limited i.e. 2-3 times a week or so 3 mile stretches to 10-12 mile steadys to simply be used to running for that distance/time, plus runs in fells of 3-5 hours plus. I think with the amount I do, any run has to be off some benifit. But as people are saying its a matter of degree. I was, to some degree, under the impression that if you ran back to back hard efforts that was benificial and that would be basically running the second day tired to some degree. It seems to be a basic philosophy amongst ultra running.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    The reason I asked was because it actually felt quite good, in a slightly masochistic sort of way. I didnt run it particularly hard and it felt like I'd done a 13-15 miler at steady pace. Also, at present my running is fairly limited i.e. 2-3 times a week or so 3 mile stretches to 10-12 mile steadys to simply be used to running for that distance/time, plus runs in fells of 3-5 hours plus. I think with the amount I do, any run has to be off some benifit. But as people are saying its a matter of degree. I was, to some degree, under the impression that if you ran back to back hard efforts that was benificial and that would be basically running the second day tired to some degree. It seems to be a basic philosophy amongst ultra running.
    Exactly at a low manage any additional mileage will help..

I really don't get this need to rest excuse.. its an excuse to do nothing.. in reality rest makes little difference.. I ran 57 mins for 10 miles the day after a hard hilly 17 mile trail run. Had I rested I'd have maybe ran 56-56:30..

Far more beneficial is bang a endurance base in.. I don't think a steady 10 miler is a hard session..

I'm tapering.. I'm recovering... its all you seem to hear from some people.. tapering from what? You need to taper from something, not 20 miles week... it just comes across as an excuse not to train..
    Last edited by IainR; 22-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.