Thread: Walking Up Hills

Walking Up Hills

Hi,

Having run Hope Wakes during the week a couple of questions have popped into my mind. The biggest one though regards (power) walking up hills. While running on the flat, or downhill I felt I was running near my limit, but once we reached the ascent of Win Hill and everyone was walking up there it *seemed* like things were a bit easier and I had more I could give. I couldn't really test it though, because the trail was pretty narrow and everyone ahead and behind me was going on that pace anyway.

Is this a common sensation (and one that once you actually do try going faster proves mistaken!)? What's the etiquette here: say excuse me and squeeze in between the next runner and the heather? Or is it best just to push yourself more on the flat and downhill knowing you'll catch your breath on the uphill?

Or just take advantage of the break and admire the view?

Thanks,

Matt

Master

Re: Walking Up Hills

Quote Originally Posted by paninaro View Post
    Hi,

Having run Hope Wakes during the week a couple of questions have popped into my mind. The biggest one though regards (power) walking up hills. While running on the flat, or downhill I felt I was running near my limit, but once we reached the ascent of Win Hill and everyone was walking up there it *seemed* like things were a bit easier and I had more I could give. I couldn't really test it though, because the trail was pretty narrow and everyone ahead and behind me was going on that pace anyway.

Is this a common sensation (and one that once you actually do try going faster proves mistaken!)? What's the etiquette here: say excuse me and squeeze in between the next runner and the heather? Or is it best just to push yourself more on the flat and downhill knowing you'll catch your breath on the uphill?

Or just take advantage of the break and admire the view?

Thanks,

Matt
    If the path is really narrow then you just have to go off the the path to pass the person in front - but once off the path you may find it is much harder work than you thought it was going to be. If it is a bit wider it is accepted to squeeze past the person in front - with a bit of an apology if necessary, particularly if there is any contact - but whatever you do do not push them out of the way.

Sometimes walking up hill is as fast as running but more efficient - you save energy that you can use elsewhere. On some steep ups - Whernside in the Y3PS for example, but there are plenty of others - even walking is really hard and the temptation is to have a bit of a rest when you get to the top - resist it and start running straight away.

Thanks. I suspect that I'd actually knacker myself getting past one person and it wouldn't make any difference in the long run. I already find any gains on speedy descents seem to be lost once I'm back on the flat again. But I hate having that niggling doubt at the back of my mind.

Dropping into a walk can often mean that your heart rate lowers as you go from a more aerobic to an increased anaerobic state, as you use more power. That's why the change might feel easier. (For a while anyway until you then start to push towards your limit to process lactic.) If working hard aerobically suits you then keep on walking but limit your stride length so that your heart rate stays higher. If you've got legs like Chris Hoy then you'll have the power to stride out!

As far as etiquette goes, just be firm but fair. If you can get past someone without elbowing them in the head then go for it, otherwise wait for a wider bit. As far as enjoying the view goes though, when I'm walking it tends to be the patch of ground just in front of my nose, or at the very most the heels of the runner in front!
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Dropping into a walk can often mean that your heart rate lowers as you go from a more aerobic to an increased anaerobic state, as you use more power. That's why the change might feel easier. (For a while anyway until you then start to push towards your limit to process lactic.) If working hard aerobically suits you then keep on walking but limit your stride length so that your heart rate stays higher. If you've got legs like Chris Hoy then you'll have the power to stride out!

As far as etiquette goes, just be firm but fair. If you can get past someone without elbowing them in the head then go for it, otherwise wait for a wider bit. As far as enjoying the view goes though, when I'm walking it tends to be the patch of ground just in front of my nose, or at the very most the heels of the runner in front!
    Normally, if we use more power, we use the anaerobic pathway more, but in addition to the aerobic pathway, so it feels harder and if anything our heart rate goes up. Presumably you are referring to the fact that when we stop running and start walking because of the increasing gradient we are using our muscles differently, so that, to an extent, it is as if we are starting again. Once we have reached a new equilibrium, walking uphill can be as hard or harder than running on the flat - the easiest way to monitor this is to observe your breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Normally, if we use more power, we use the anaerobic pathway more, but in addition to the aerobic pathway, so it feels harder and if anything our heart rate goes up. Presumably you are referring to the fact that when we stop running and start walking because of the increasing gradient we are using our muscles differently, so that, to an extent, it is as if we are starting again. Once we have reached a new equilibrium, walking uphill can be as hard or harder than running on the flat - the easiest way to monitor this is to observe your breathing.
    Maybe I'm not normal, but when I start to climb steeply I find my heart rate can drop when I reduce my cadence. I need to drop my stride length and try to increase my cadence again to keep my aerobic system working as hard as when I run. The other thing that I'm mindful of is keeping as upright as possible so as not to inhibit my breathing. I can understand that it might be using slightly different muscles too, which may make things feel easier. It is all interesting stuff.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

I'm never sure how to train for this, I run plenty of steep hills but sometimes it's impossible to run during races due to the height you need to lift your legs, or the terrain isn't the best. I've been running long steep hill reps with a short stride and had no problems with it, other than the usual. However, I did a session the other day of 10 shorter reps (1:30-1:45 each) up steep steps on Otley Chevin, the high knee lift (plus the descending) screwed me up and my legs have been trashed from it. I've since worked out that the entire session lasting 45 mins was only 1.5 miles (not including warm up/cool down) with around 1400ft ascent :w00t:

I'm hoping this means the session will be beneficial for my hill strength!
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Rob,

Don't envy your steps session, once a year is enough for me in the Chevin race!!

I run on the Chevin most days, and so cover most of the hills on there, always running them. I've never trained specifically for really steep stuff, but I find in races when we hit the really steep stuff (walking) I can stick with or go quicker than the people i've been running with. The only conclusion I came to is a: good aerobic fitness so a hard walk up actually starts to feel like a rest (different muscles as well as someone already mentioned!) b: accumulation of hill strength from a few years now of doing some hard fell races.

On every climb, I always try to mix it up too, so as soon as the gradient eases slightly I try to run on, even if only for a few strides just to change muscles, stride pattern, ease my back etc. Not sure if this helps but in my mind it does.

Presumably you are referring to the fact that when we stop running and start walking because of the increasing gradient we are using our muscles differently, so that, to an extent, it is as if we are starting again.