Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra running & 'The Fear'

Ultra running & 'The Fear'

Hello, fell running compatriots.

I'm due to embark on my first ultra marathon this time next week; the 'Clyde Stride' - 40 miles along rather flat roads and pathway ("spare us", you groan).

Anyway, in all honesty I am probably underprepared. My longest run in training is 22 miles (a few weeks ago) and in the last couple of weeks before taper time I was finally pushing 50 miles a week. The thing is though; every run during the last couple of weeks felt terrible. I didn't enjoy them and I struggled. This has now given me the fear; 'I'm not capable if doing this', 'Im going to fail miserably', and so on. I was just wondering if this daunted, worried mentality is normal before a first ultra, or am I genuinely underprepared?

Answers to my running angst-ridden drivel greatly appreciated!

Re: Ultra running & 'The Fear'

Have to admit to a few butterflies before my first ultra (Haworth Hobble). Ended up really enjoying it. Try to have a positive attitude from the start and make sure you don't go off too fast, you'll regret it later if you do. Stay at a comfortable steady pace and walk some sections if you have to and you'll get to the finish. Good luck!

You sound fine for that, did round Rotherham last year on 20 miles a week max and plenty of cycling. taking it easy, particularly on any hills, and not setting off too fast seemed to work

Comments above sum it up I believe! Any new longer 'challenge' makes me slightly concerned and generally I take the 'start steady, stay steady and finish' approach. If there's cut-offs get inside them! It depends on your overall goals I guess. I'm wondering if I've done enough for the L50 in two weeks, but if I have'nt I guess its too late to worry about it, therefore its stick to the plan time. Tho' I might push it a bit at the start to see how I feel! Enjoy
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

As others have said, adopt a "just finish" approach, have fun and use it as a new learning experience. Where you may come unstuck is treating it like any normal shorter race and going out too fast as a result. I did my longest ultra (71 miles) three weeks ago, was under prepared too, and just had a good laugh on the way round. Enjoy.

Cheers for the (much needed) advice all! You're all spot on too methinks - I've been taking it all a bit too seriousy - need to approach it with a positive attitude and treat it as a learning curve, having as much fun as possible along the way. Here we go then...gulp.

I think it depends on what kind of person you are but I'm a bit of a worrier and I worried loads about doing the Fellsman this year to the point where I nearly didn't do it. I only reached 35miles in training due to suffering loads of niggles and it is 61miles so I was somewhat under prepared. This was not helped by the super duper ultra runners I met during the event all sucking their teeth and shaking their heads when I told them that I'd only trained to 35m. It got so bad that I started lying about the distances I'd done just to stop them freaking me out and finally I told one of that I usually did 10k road races dressed as a fairy because I got fed up with being asked all the time. Anyway, I was really daunted by the whole thing but on the day I felt ok with a calm sense of fatalism and I made it round fine and even enjoyed most of it (although I had problems walking for a couple days after). I think you'll be fine too. The adrenalin and will power involved when you are actually doing the event will help you with the extra miles and the best tip anyone gave me was not to count the miles, just keep going and try and enjoy it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballboy View Post
    Hello, fell running compatriots.

I'm due to embark on my first ultra marathon this time next week; the 'Clyde Stride' - 40 miles along rather flat roads and pathway ("spare us", you groan).

Anyway, in all honesty I am probably underprepared. My longest run in training is 22 miles (a few weeks ago) and in the last couple of weeks before taper time I was finally pushing 50 miles a week. The thing is though; every run during the last couple of weeks felt terrible. I didn't enjoy them and I struggled. This has now given me the fear; 'I'm not capable if doing this', 'Im going to fail miserably', and so on. I was just wondering if this daunted, worried mentality is normal before a first ultra, or am I genuinely underprepared?

Answers to my running angst-ridden drivel greatly appreciated!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Somebody once said ultras are an eating competition with some exercise thrown in. My first ultra was a 40 miler last year. I rigidly ate & drank every hour & got round fine. I'm also a firm believer of PMA - positive, mental attitude ! As most people have said though, enjoy it !!

i agree. I don't think I have ever run the ultra distances in training- infact with work, family etc..... my last run/race is often my last training! Have done Fellsman twice plus Long Mynd and RRR50 but only on those days. I have a wierd 'injury' issue that often means if the start is fierce and fast I have to walk after 20 mins. PMA does work- i used to get very stressed my being passed by so many so soon after the start but now I just have accepted that all will be well in the long run and there will be hours to make up the lost time. Some good mantras have helped too: 1. Enjoy it or why bother 2. Man up ! 3. don't give up mum, it's just one foot in front of the other!
    One of the things that I really like about the ultras is the great long day out and cameraderie. I love meeting up with friends from these every so often. A good time is nice (as in beating last years) but getting round and enjoying the day matter just as much.

I did Bullock Smithy last year, and while it wasn't my first LDWA/'Ultra' event, it was my longest. The mileage never entered my head hardly. I was thinking of CP times, as I'd made a pace notes sheet so that I could see where I was time wise, seemed to stop me thinking of how far I had to go. It was the same at West Highland Way Race, I was support runner for a mate. I did 36 miles, but again the distances never crossed my mind!! Its time on your feet not distance.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com