Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Callow

Callow

There's a few of us doing this one next week.

Anybody know the route? As it is 2500 feet it obviously does more than go up and down Callow once.

I asked Dawsy at the weekend and although he's run the race he couldn't remember where it went. I think Mercia's site is still in cyberspace somewhere.

Re: Callow

I only know bits of it Invisible. I do know the story behind it though....but not sure I'm allowed to share it in public

Won't be there unfortunately, off to the Lakes to do the Saunders MM.

Hope you enjoy your Shropshire trip.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Callow will be my first race since joining Mercia. I'm buggered if I know the route though .

I only hope I'll have the energy to lift my head occasionally to see where everyone else went...

Well I know where it goes now!

Jeez that was bloody hard. Very well marshaled and marked and some sunshine as well. Cheers
    Fellrunner Feb 2005 Page 80

There's no need to leave cryptic clues as your identity, Invisible. This isn't The Da Vinci Code, y'know.

June 2005 p12

I've done it the last couple of years, but not this year and love it - top notch race.

Quote Originally Posted by invisible View Post
    Well I know where it goes now!

Jeez that was bloody hard.
    It went Up & down, up & down, up and down, up & down ....... with not a lot of inbetweeny bits. I agree, usual Long Mynd tough race but I was pleased to get round in one piece with no injuries, even if slowly.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Callow

I was wondering if anyone had done the Callow Fell Race before (this Sunday, Shropshire)? I have the OS for the area and would like to know the route. Forewarned is forearmed so they say!

good evening Tufty
    We did this one last year, and it is incredibly tough, the locals told us that the top local runners steer clear of Callow because its too hard. Very roughly, the route is:- The race starts at Little Stretton, and goes steeply off to the right up Ashes, then you contour round the east side of ashlet before dropping down to Town Brook, a left turn along the bottom for about 200 yards, then turn left to go straight up the north side of Yearlet. At the top, you descend off to the left, then up Grindle, then another decsnt, turn left along a very narrow, bumpy path for about 1/4 mile, then turn left to go up Callow(the same acent as in the Long mynd valley race). At the top, you drop down to the right along an awkward track to finish near where you started. it took me about 15 minutes longer than it would take to run a 10 mile road race.
    thanks andrew

Eek Just had a look at the map and got a shock! No matter, I'm not one to be put off. I'm doing Snowdon in a few weeks so the training will be good. Thanks for the route description, much appreciated