Thread: Dash To The Pole

Dash To The Pole

A bit of a novelty in the calendar, being uphill only, and at night. Tuesday 14th November.

From the Ragleth Inn, Little Stretton, up to the Trig Point on Pole Bank at the top of the Mynd.

A glance at last year's results and 25mins would put you right up with a chance of winning.

I ran a similar ascent in 25mins last year during the first part of a longer race.... although this was during the day, starting a couple of hundred metres down the road from the pub, and i cut off before the cairn to take a short-cut.

That said, that would have been equivalent to about 27-28mins, and that previous race was on battered legs, and i had another 45mins of running still do to after that climb.... if i can handle running hard on the fells with a head-torch (which i haven't done for a couple of years), i reckon i can get amongst it on this one.
    Last edited by Travs; 26-10-2023 at 12:06 PM.

Interesting.

Well beyond my current running ability, but still good to know about

Its been going a good while, but was always a February race. But the previous RO moving away from the area, its been taken on by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Its been going a good while, but was always a February race. But the previous RO moving away from the area, its been taken on by someone else.
    Yes, I saw that when I looked at the WFRA calendar. I also noticed it's "choose your own route", and being raced in a time-trial format.

I have walked from Little Stretton to Pole Bank, but it was 20+ years ago and in full sunlight. I would therefore choose the Ashes Hollow route, which appears to be around 3.25 miles from an on-line measurement, although this may not be the best route in the dark. I can only see two obvious routes, although I haven't been for years and don't have local knowledge. Which route would you choose Travs?

I will use the route which goes round the flanks of Callow and Round Hill, i.e the other obvious route. It is runnable all the way if you're feeling fit enough, and generally good underfoot. There's a little shortcut at the top through the heather which saves 30secs, but that likely won't be visible/feasible in the dark, but its still my preferred route.

Having had the same route dilemma on the Little Stretton to Stiperstones Time Trial last year, and a similar route choice in descent on the South Mynd Tour race, i think the majority seem to prefer the Ashes Hollow route.

There is a third route in descent... and that is straight off the nose of Long Synalds down into Ashes Hollow... its a bit of local secret descent on the South Mynd Tour.... although i can't see it being feasible in the dark or uphill, i think its strictly a quick way off.
    Last edited by Travs; 27-10-2023 at 07:54 PM.

I will use the route which goes round the flanks of Callow and Round Hill, i.e the other obvious route. It is runnable all the way if you're feeling fit enough, and generally good underfoot. There's a little shortcut at the top through the heather which saves 30secs, but that likely won't be visible/feasible in the dark, but its still my preferred route.

Having had the same route dilemma on the Little Stretton to Stiperstones Time Trial last year, and a similar route choice in descent on the South Mynd Tour race, i think the majority seem to prefer the Ashes Hollow route.
    Thanks

Using the same on-line measurement as before, your route comes out at exactly 3 miles - which is what the race is quoted as in the WFRA calendar. That works out at 8-9 min/mile pace for three miles to put you right at the sharp end.

Whilst I have run in the dark, with and without a head-torch (don't ask), I've never raced in such conditions. Will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

There is a third route in descent... and that is straight off the nose of Long Synalds down into Ashes Hollow... its a bit of local secret descent on the South Mynd Tour.... although i can't see it being feasible in the dark or uphill, i think its strictly a quick way off.
    I'd go Callow and Round Hill too. A good solid path for most of it and a easily runnable gradient for most of it especially after the first steep incline. Your 3rd option is most likely my preferred descent - down over long synalds, cross the brook and then the path that contours across the side of Grindle. Definitely the quickest way down for me but longer with a couple of steep climbs in reverse so wouldn't recommend it.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I'm tempted to give it a whirl.

From what has been said on this thread and looking at the map Callow and Round Hill would be my preferred option but with limited local knowledge it also looks like it has the more likelihood of me going wrong so I think I'd go for Ashes Hollow.

If I can get a carful I'll make the trip.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Did you go to this last night Llani? Surely you'd have walked the vet prizes (unless Pete Vale turned up).

Sadly with my upcoming race on sunday and illness last week, i decided against it.