Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Herriot trail race

Re: James Herriot race,Wensley

I remember it too Anorak, did it about 4 times back in my road running days.
    That hill near Semerwater was an absolute swine
    Always enjoy a day out in Hawes though

My brother always tells me about it , usually accompanied by the words 'sodding hard' lol. Didnt you finish near the creamery?

It started and finished in the yard of the creamery if I remember rightly

Herriot Trail

Phew what a scorcher!
    Anybody else do this? I was five minutes slower than the last time I did it.. Bloke in the cattle trough was very amusing and another chap couldn't stand up for about an hour after the race finished.
    I found a fantastic jacuzzi hole on the lip of one of the lower falls down at Aysgarth and had a very pleasant dunk (DUNK!) in it. A lot cleaner than the cattle trough!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Re: Herriot Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    Phew what a scorcher!
    Anybody else do this? I was five minutes slower than the last time I did it.. Bloke in the cattle trough was very amusing and another chap couldn't stand up for about an hour after the race finished.
    I found a fantastic jacuzzi hole on the lip of one of the lower falls down at Aysgarth and had a very pleasant dunk (DUNK!) in it. A lot cleaner than the cattle trough!
    I had a crack at this - it was absolutley baking, with no shade whatsoever and no hills steep enough to walk up. Though it was OK as a fast training run, especially if run in cooler conditions, but it was a bit dull. Nice castle though. Have you seen any photos - there were a couple of photographers on the course and I'd like to relive the pain!

Dull? Didn't you notice Wensleydale then?

Dull? Didn't you notice Wensleydale then?
    Love the Dales - spent most of the car journey there and back espousing the virtues of limestone walls, soft rolling hills, gentle streams, village fetes, country pubs etc. Born and bred and still live in Yorkshire.

No, the comment was about the race: dull in terms of no hands-on-knees climbs, mad descents, tussocks, bogs, rocks, route choice etc.

Obviouly i'm not an experieced fell runner and i did walk some of the first hills but what a great race. I usually wilt in the heat but didn't do to bad. The scenery were fantastic. Did worry about the guy who colaspsed at the end but he looked as if he was picking up. Loved it.

"Ran" every step even though people were passing me walking up the first hill. The second hill (I fantasised about climbing an enormous sand dune in the Marathon des Sables. Think I was delirious at that point!) wasn't that high and it gave me a fillip to have run it.
    Agree about the absence of hairraising elements, but I think you do this race as much for the picnic as anything else. A lovely day out.

"Ran" every step even though people were passing me walking up the first hill. The second hill (I fantasised about climbing an enormous sand dune in the Marathon des Sables. Think I was delirious at that point!) wasn't that high and it gave me a fillip to have run it.
    Agree about the absence of hairraising elements, but I think you do this race as much for the picnic as anything else. A lovely day out.
    It was a lovely day in an area I didn't know at all but the heat really got to me and I almost conked out at the 7 mile mark. I was almost 15 min slower than I expected
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell