Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ban Three Peaks Runners

Re: Ban Three Peaks Runners

This was posted on another forum by a poster not known for going off on one:

" I used to do a lot of hill walking up until I totally buggered me back up about 3 yrs ago.

Since moving here (Notts) about 20 yrs ago , I'd become particularly fond of Edale & used to walk there (approx 25 miles a go) at LEAST twice a month.

I got SICK TO ****IN' DEATH with fell-running tossers coming at me like a rugby scrum when I was just chilling out & getting into the peace & beauty bit. No care about anyone else , no care about the scenery (too busy running for any of that!) ---- they may as well be running up & down pit-heaps , if they could find any left.

THEN there's the litter ----- (this is training runs I'm on about btw --- can't see them getting away with it on "organized runs btw) ---- the number of times I've been run past (on Kinder in particular) & then had the group of runners stop at the peak for lunch & leave their crap --- health-grain wrappers, "high-energy drink" containers etc lying around !!!

(The last time that happened , I picked the stuff up , took it back down to Edale & dumped it in the middle of their table whilst they were having lunch accompanied by the cry of "You seem to have dropped this !" as I walked away ,to applause from other drinkers btw ) . & YES I AM sure the crap was what THEY had dumped.

Frankly , (& yes , I accept it's not all of them) treat the fells like speed-boat driving tossers do the lakes ---- take, take , take --- do what you want (including environmental damage --- litter , erosion etc) disregard everyone else & pretend to yourself you are "conquering nature" or some such bollox."

Now I know that no one on this forum would behave in such a manner, but apparently people do (and I've certainly seen the littering evidence down here in the form of gel packets and drinks containers)...so what should we do about it?

Cheers - Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    the writer probably lives at the top of a certain valley in leeds where I was recceing our orienteering exercise the other week - she asked me what I was doing snooping around her gate -
    " I 'm planning a map reading exercise for a walking group" -
    she exclaimed "Oh dont send them up here'
    "Why not?" I asked innocently- "its on the map and its public property?".

"Oh do what you like" and she stormed into her garden.......probably to write her letter to the YEP! I hope you are coming along for the fun MT! but dont bring any gels!
    Afraid I'll either be littering the Tatra Mountains with gels or still here at home with my latest(non-running) injury so will miss the orienteering treasure hunt fun this year DS.

Australia got it bang on when they came up with the phrase whinging pomes.
    your shoes get so hot you wish your dam feet were fire proof

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds Rhino View Post
    ' Isn't it time for mass events organised for charity etc. to be banned from The Three Peaks and possibly the countryside in general ?
    The letter writer is refering to these types of events:

Three Peaks Charity Challenge

Don't confuse the charity events with fell running despite the use of bad headlines by the BBC:

Clampdown on mountain racers

Gulp, no wonder people complain:

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Last year 29,000 took part in the Three Peaks Challenge in June.
    Last edited by XRunner; 27-06-2007 at 07:58 PM.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    I thought you cycled to the bottom of Snowdon, Allan
    No we ran all the way too and from Snowdon
    Cycled to Ennerdale from Whitehaven, then ran over black sail pass to Scaefell summit and back, then back on the bikes to Whitehaven.
    Ran from Corpach up Ben Nevis & Back.

So most of the time not spent on the yacht was spent running.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Ooops! That sounds like my kind of holliday. I knew there was some cycling involved. Should have known, the time i climbed on Sca fell it was hard to get to and involved a long (enjoyable) walk in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    aarrrkk, wrong 3 peaks CH! aaaarrrrrk
    I haven't seen the original article, but given that it was in the Yorkshire Post, I would have thought it highly likely that the 3 peaks referred to were those in Yorkshire.

Graeme

I particularly liked this one

Every year thousands of the fittest hill walkers arrive at the foot of Snowdon as part of the Three Peaks Challenge, where they have 24 hours to climb the tallest spots in Wales, England and Scotland.

I always thought the clock started when you were at the top of Nevis, and then it stopped at the top Snowdon, doesn't really seem like three peaks. More like two really

too right they should be banned, what do they think theryre playing at? i mean, raising money for charity, enjoying themselves outdoors its disgusting.

if youre going to get your knickers in a twist about the environment and access issues surely theres bigger things to worry about.

Wink Re: Ban Three Peaks Runners

I like many others have done the 3 peaks of England , Scotland and Wales like many of u , i'm sure. The majority of people are walking it very few runners. Unfortunately it is seen as a 'do-able' event for charity groups and stirs the imagination for sponsorship. No doubt it raises large amounts of money . We get back to the old erosion arguments again.
    The letter writer in The Yorkshire Post has the sort of extreme views that are ill considered and irrational and contribute little to solving any problems.
    The letter is just a rant, the only way to deal with such immature behaviour is to respond with clear thought and point out their errors.
    Hope this may help you in your response.

Failing that, get the property section , roll it up and shove it up em where the sun don't shine!!