Thread: Across Morecambe Bay

Across Morecambe Bay

anyone doing this on Suday ? half marathon across Morecambe bay, starting in Cumbria and finishing in Lancashire. Its certainly not cheap at £26 but it sure is something different.It is very well guided ( I hope ! ) I remember what happened to those poor Chinese cockle pickers.We have a car full going across from Leeds

Re: Across Morecambe Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds Rhino View Post
    We have a car full going across from Leeds
    Please don't take your car across!

Attachment 6324

I would have left it there and saved the time and effort (and money) for more deserving causes.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Hi Dave

http://www.crossbay.org.uk/

I ran it a few years ago (2009), & enjoyed it immensely - barring the headwind for the last 5 miles!
    Sadly, I've not been able for varying reasons to get back to run it again

I've no idea if you've done it before, but as the organisers say, be prepared to get very wet, as there's two channels to cross where the rivers enter the Bay; the Kent (the biggie!) & the Keer (Kent was crotch-deep for approaching 150 yards!!)

All in all, I'd reckon you're running in water of varying depths for over a mile??
    And, it's certainly a race where no-one wants to cut corners!!

We stopped over there near Carnforth (wanted to stay at the gorgeous 'Midland Hotel' in Morecambe, but it was fully booked due a wedding) & SWMBO drove me to the start, then went back round to Hest Bank for the finish.
    It was my first 'half' & I didn't look good afterwards

Good luck to you all, & let us know how you get on
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    Hi Davehttp://www.crossbay.org.uk/I ran it a few years ago (2009), & enjoyed it immensely - barring the headwind for the last 5 miles!Sadly, I've not been able for varying reasons to get back to run it againI've no idea if you've done it before, but as the organisers say, be prepared to get very wet, as there's two channels to cross where the rivers enter the Bay; the Kent (the biggie!) & the Keer (Kent was crotch-deep for approaching 150 yards!!)All in all, I'd reckon you're running in water of varying depths for over a mile??And, it's certainly a race where no-one wants to cut corners!!We stopped over there near Carnforth (wanted to stay at the gorgeous 'Midland Hotel' in Morecambe, but it was fully booked due a wedding) & SWMBO drove me to the start, then went back round to Hest Bank for the finish.It was my first 'half' & I didn't look good afterwardsGood luck to you all, & let us know how you get on
    yes ,will do.

yes ,will do.
    headwind virtually all the way, knee deep in water at the river channels . Enjoyed it very much but so tired at the end. 237th out of 560 I'll settle for that

headwind virtually all the way, knee deep in water at the river channels
    Enjoyed it very much but so tired at the end. 237th out of 560 I'll settle for that
    I was absolutely jiggered after mine too, it's a lot harder than 13 miels of (allegedly!!!) flat sand has right to be

As you found out, & goes without saying there's definately no shelter from the wind out there (unless it's behind someone 6' 2", or 3 foot wide!!!)

I used to live as a kid in one of the semi-detatched houses on the sea shore at Hest Bank. and did the cross bay walk on numerous occasions!! Happy Days
    www.vlaevents.co.uk Fancy something different?

headwind virtually all the way, knee deep in water at the river channels . Enjoyed it very much but so tired at the end. 237th out of 560 I'll settle for that
    A damned good turn out, I was 52nd/239 at my attempt (@ 1.42:52)

IF, I'd run it & could have equalled my 2009 time, I'd have come in in 11th