Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelf Moor

Re: Shelf Moor

Great race today - thanks to all the marshalls for braving the conditions on top of James Thorn and Higher Shelf!!!!

Will attach a google earth route of the race for anyone interested .... well that is if I can work out how to upload an invalid .kml file type ??

Brett help??

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA

Making me very jealous. Used to Love running the Shelf Moor race - for me about 58 mins of torture but very very satisfying. Makes me think of home - ran up there countless times in all kinds of weather. Trust me, its better to be ascending James Thorn in cool wet weather.

In my view one of the purest fell running routes there is locally. Any results / pictures due out soon? How many ran?

From a current Glossopdale Harrier stationed out in the USA - keep up the good work folks. I know the marshalling and organisation would have been first class
    Last edited by ajohns352000; 02-09-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Forgot about this little treat of a race, but lying in bed all morning doesn't help.

Would have popped up and watched as I did my 2 hour run.

Well done to all who ran.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Bloody hell, you're back!!

Reet enjoyed running today - except being pipped by the esteemed Chairman of the FRA

Quote Originally Posted by Bleaklow View Post
    Great race today - thanks to all the marshalls for braving the conditions on top of James Thorn and Higher Shelf!!!!

Will attach a google earth route of the race for anyone interested .... well that is if I can work out how to upload an invalid .kml file type ??

Brett help??

Excellent race - shame about getting lost in the mist!!

Nick Bassett & myself were in 4th and 5th place as we got to James's Thorn, then we must have missed one of the flags heading off to the right and we just kept going straight on. By the time we realised there were no flags & no other runners we were way off course. Got my map & compass out, took a bearing and we eventually rejoined the pack somewhere around 25th place, I think. Oops!

Still, I think it was the first time I've beaten Nick, so perhaps I'll try it again sometime (or maybe not).

Good to meet Brett at long last.

Excellent prizes, by the way - chocolates, hand-made in Glossop - yummy.

Big thanks to the marshalls (including Werdna Swilnik) for standing out in the mist and rain while we all enjoyed ourselves.

Yes, many thanks to the marshalls, very grisley weather on top (perfect fell running weather I reckon). I've done the race before and didn't even recognise the trig point.

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    I've done the race before and didn't even recognise the trig point.
    The guy parked next to me said that he thought the race didn't go around the trig point this time, we turned a bit earlier, about 30 secs saved in his opion.

Quote Originally Posted by DanAzz View Post
    The guy parked next to me said that he thought the race didn't go around the trig point this time, we turned a bit earlier, about 30 secs saved in his opion.
    The marshalls were definitely at the trig. In fact Dave Taylor said he visited the trig twice, just to confirm with them that he was following the correct set of flags! (The inward & outward routes are very close together at that point).

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    The marshalls were definitely at the trig. In fact Dave Taylor said he visited the trig twice, just to confirm with them that he was following the correct set of flags! (The inward & outward routes are very close together at that point).
    Oh ok, my first running of the race and I had no idea where I was in the mist, neither did the other guy by the sounds of it!!