Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelf Moor

Re: Shelf Moor

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Excellent race - shame about getting lost in the mist!!

Big thanks to the marshalls (including Werdna Swilnik) for standing out in the mist and rain while we all enjoyed ourselves.
    I had just come back from 9 days walking the Cleveland Way during which time there was lots of good weather, and I didn't see a spot of rain, so it was a wierd thing to be stood up there at the top of Dowstones clough in the cold driving rain. I could see runners appear out of the mist on the bank opposite me, anxiously scanning for the next flag as they approached the clough. Quite a few commented that they were thankful for the course being well flagged. The first two Dark Peak runners were neck and neck at Dowstones, so it must have been quite a finish!

Re: Shelf Moor

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    The marshalls were definitely at the trig. In fact Dave Taylor said he visited the trig twice, just to confirm with them that he was following the correct set of flags! (The inward & outward routes are very close together at that point).
    The marshalls were well in front of the trig, as were the tapes directing the runners. In previous years we have had to run round the back of the trig, which involves scrambling over rocks in addition to the extra distance. Not complaining though, a few seconds less to suffer!

Shelf Moor Fell Race Route

Could anyone give me the route for this race, I live in Old Glossop and fancy having a go at this but wouldnt mind a few runs round first

Re: Shelf Moor Fell Racr Route

Shelf Moor race route details are here:

http://www.glossopdale.org.uk/races/racessm.html

Lived in Old Glossop up to May 2007 - Now live in New Hampshire USA

Quote Originally Posted by FREDDIE View Post
    Could anyone give me the route for this race, I live in Old Glossop and fancy having a go at this but wouldnt mind a few runs round first

Freddie

I had a house on Highstones Gardens ( top of hope street) and as a member of Glossopdale and local to the route I know it well. Start is at the first gate on mossy lea. Follow path towards farm, over bridge then left up the hill. Just after gate at the top drop down on the path into the clough and contour for about 1/2 mile. Then at the bottom of James Thorn you turn left and its up up up until you hit the style. Then its over the style and on to the James Thorn summit. carry on then bare right to lower shelf then over the top and head towards higher shelf trig. Basically you go around the trig and back on your self almost then its fast running for about 2 miles in an old stream bed for starters. The route here is ok but in the clag it cant be difficult ( consult the map on Glossopdale site). Eventually you will come out on the top of lightside where its a brakes off / brain off descent to the styles ( 3 in total) to the mossy lea gate where you started from. Then its down towards Old Glossop and finish at the bus turning circle by the factory.

Great route and a killer of a climb. glossopdale always put on a great job. Incidentally the record is under 40 mins by Colin Donelly in the 80's. No one has got near it since.

Wish I could be there to take you around

Quote Originally Posted by ajohns352000 View Post
    Freddie

I had a house on Highstones Gardens ( top of hope street) and as a member of Glossopdale and local to the route I know it well. Start is at the first gate on mossy lea. Follow path towards farm, over bridge then left up the hill. Just after gate at the top drop down on the path into the clough and contour for about 1/2 mile. Then at the bottom of James Thorn you turn left and its up up up until you hit the style. Then its over the style and on to the James Thorn summit. carry on then bare right to lower shelf then over the top and head towards higher shelf trig. Basically you go around the trig and back on your self almost then its fast running for about 2 miles in an old stream bed for starters. The route here is ok but in the clag it cant be difficult ( consult the map on Glossopdale site). Eventually you will come out on the top of lightside where its a brakes off / brain off descent to the styles ( 3 in total) to the mossy lea gate where you started from. Then its down towards Old Glossop and finish at the bus turning circle by the factory.

Great route and a killer of a climb. glossopdale always put on a great job. Incidentally the record is under 40 mins by Colin Donelly in the 80's. No one has got near it since.

Wish I could be there to take you around
    Perfect !!, better than any map ajohns. - Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Werdna Swilnik View Post
    Shelf Moor race route details are here:

http://www.glossopdale.org.uk/races/racessm.html
    Thanks for these race details - hope i dont come last.... not done loads of Fell Races !!

Worth noting that the race route is fully marked with nice little flags - but I still managed to go completely wrong at the top of James's Thorn last year! Just kept going instead of bearing right (thick mist - couldn't see the next flag!) Eventually I took a compass bearing and got back to the race route, joining in the pack about 20 places down from where I had been.

Think I'll be a bit more careful this year.

Freddie you should get out with the harriers one night I'd be happy to have a trot around the course anytime soon and I'm sure some of the others would too. It shoud be bye bye to the roads before long - IT'S SPRING!!!

Sort of !
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Quote Originally Posted by FREDDIE View Post
    Thanks for these race details - hope i dont come last.... not done loads of Fell Races !!
    Freddie, you will also be very welcome at another local Glossop race, the Herod Farm race, which is a short race (but with two steep climbs) that takes place on the evening of Wednesday 16th April. Details are here:

http://www.glossopdale.org.uk/races/raceshf.html