Thread: Volunteering spirit

Volunteering spirit

As the Olympics and Paralympics begin to recede, with all the appropriate celebration of the Gamesmakers, it is worth giving ourselves a bit of a pat on the back as well.

Fellrunning is entirely run by volunteers, and is the better for it. Every race organiser, entries person, marshall, committee member, junior coordinator, coach, series organiser, chairman, webmaster, results person, etc. etc. etc. is a volunteer. Without these people we would not have a sport.

If I am racing (and have enough breath) I always try to say thanks to the marshalls. If I am marshalling, I am always amazed by the numbers of marshalls that manage to say thanks to me.

I would like to say thanks to everyone that helps to put on our sport, especially, on this part of the forum, the junior races.

If you don't already volunteer to help out, then think about you might like to do and offer, you will find it very rewarding. You might not get thanked in person by all the juniors or their parents, but I bet someone will appreciate your efforts (perhaps with a pint).

Also, remember, if something goes slightly wrong, or doesn't happen the way you would like, everyone is volunteering to do this. It is not very motivational to have people criticise or complain when you are doing your best. Think about this before you rush to say anything. If we annoy the volunteers, then we have no sport.

Finally, again, to all the volunteers in our sport, Thank you!

Master

Re: Volunteering spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Lecky View Post
    .....If I am marshalling, I am always amazed by the numbers of marshalls that manage to say thanks to me........
    Aaah sweet, I love marshalls.