Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folkin’ Reservoir Ramble

Re: Folkin’ Reservoir Ramble

Bring it anyway mate, the organisers may insist !

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Bring it anyway mate, the organisers may insist !
    I think the route is flagged. Hope so given my total lack of any navigational skills.

Follow my wife & son !

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds Rhino View Post
    I think the route is flagged. Hope so given my total lack of any navigational skills.

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Runner View Post
    Worked out the route. Looks easy enough to follow.

All signed up and ready to go.
    You're lucky Martin
    I'm still waiting for approval from work & SWMBO
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Have you seen a description of the route ? I just have 4 co-ordinates plotted on my map from the official website. Unless I'm being completely dumb (no comments please), I can't see a description of either. 4 co-ordinates for 20 miles doesn't seem enough to me !

Worked out the route. Looks easy enough to follow.

All signed up and ready to go.

On the webite there is a link to a mapmyrun page for the two routes. There's no description as such but a combination of OS maps and Google Streetview I think I've managed to work out where to go. Possibly.

A couple of things I noticed are that the mapmyrun route goes clockwise around the rervoirs where the picture of the recce would suggest the opposite.

Also, on the mapmyrun page you can select full screen and it brings up a limited route description. Basically "turn left onto Acacia Avenue" or similar. Most of the run is described as direct off-road route.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/129187383

Last edited by Vegan Runner; 19-09-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Ah, it crosses Dob Park Bridge, one of my 'favourite-est' spots in the county.

If I was up near Otley, I'd always drive/ride down there, & sit enjoying the solitude, & very rarely see anyone else (maybe hear machinery on the farm to the west)

If I had the money & could get permission, I'd love to have a house overlooking the bridge (yes, sadly though, I know that'd destroy its tranquility)

Attachment 6383Attachment 6382
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Cheers VR.

On the webite there is a link to a mapmyrun page for the two routes. There's no description as such but a combination of OS maps and Google Streetview I think I've managed to work out where to go. Possibly.

A couple of things I noticed are that the mapmyrun route goes clockwise around the rervoirs where the picture of the recce would suggest the opposite.

Also, on the mapmyrun page you can select full screen and it brings up a limited route description. Basically "turn left onto Acacia Avenue" or similar. Most of the run is described as direct off-road route.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/129187383

I was entered for this event but tore a calf muscle on Thursday evening - AGAIN - so had to miss it.
    'Peeved' does not even begin to describe my feelings.

However, I did bob along to the race HQ.
    Beautiful weather with blue skies, and a very scenic course.

I understand there was some route confusion at a couple of points, despite (or arguably because of) the course being marked.
    1. After the early road crossing, a number of runners apparently followed the homeward markers, in reverse, rather than the outward ones.
    2. At CP1, a farmer had put up his own tape as a marker for lorries coming in relation to building work at his property. Again, a number of runners took these as flagging the race route and disappeared off over the horizon.

I hope everyone eventually gets back safely and look forward to hearing descriptions of the detours....
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Beautiful weather, vest and shorts (and gloves for the first 20mins as I have cold hands!)
    I luckily only went a hundred metres or so off course - at that farmhouse where the farmer had used red and white tape and we couldn't see any race signs - but the road was quickly a dead-end so we turned back, then a marshal appeared and told us where to go. I later got overtaken by some guys who had gone two miles off course early on!
    It was a great race, a few hiccups but it was the first year they'd done it, so kudos to the ROs. One slight point is I was slightly surprised by the number of people doing either race (especially the 20miler) with no kit at all (kit wasn't mandatory) - the kit thing is kind of hammered into me by years of fellrunning, so I had a bumbag with the usual gear in. With the weather being so nice, I only used the sweets and a bit of water. The kit thing has been done to death on these forums though so I won't start a new debate about it here - that was just my thought
    I saw you Veganrunner - were you ok? I think you were limping but were having a chat to a walker when I saw you so didn't like to interrupt!
    Thank you ROs, marshals, the guy serving pie and peas, and whoever bought all the swiss roll
    But in the end, journeys brought joys that outweighed the pain - F.T.