Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip Flexor Tightness - Help

Hip Flexor Tightness - Help

Hi everyone,

Well since completing the BGR in June, I have had some slight issues with my hip flexor (just one of them), it appears to a very on and off injury as such, as it comes and goes....

I personally think its just tightness (I did have sports massage 10 days after attempt and physio mentioned it was a tiny bit tight then, but nothing to worry about and that I could still train and just run on feelings - which is how I train anyway). I completed the L50 6 weeks later.

Anyway suppose I best get to the point...
    It hurts at night and during the night
    Also sometimes affects my hill climbing :angry:

I do a lot of strength and core work which is why I feel its not a weakness, I have recently started doing a stretch advised by Clivebaby and wondered if anybody had any further advice out there???

I have the Ripon ultra 35 on Saturday 6th October and I am also a Fitness Instructor so complete rest is extremely hard to come by!!
    Knowledge is power, community is strength and positive attitude is everything!

Master

Re: Hip Flexor Tightness - Hel

Quote Originally Posted by ashstroller View Post
    Hi everyone,

Well since completing the BGR in June, I have had some slight issues with my hip flexor (just one of them), it appears to a very on and off injury as such, as it comes and goes....

I personally think its just tightness (I did have sports massage 10 days after attempt and physio mentioned it was a tiny bit tight then, but nothing to worry about and that I could still train and just run on feelings - which is how I train anyway). I completed the L50 6 weeks later.

Anyway suppose I best get to the point...
    It hurts at night and during the night
    Also sometimes affects my hill climbing :angry:

I do a lot of strength and core work which is why I feel its not a weakness, I have recently started doing a stretch advised by Clivebaby and wondered if anybody had any further advice out there???

I have the Ripon ultra 35 on Saturday 6th October and I am also a Fitness Instructor so complete rest is extremely hard to come by!!
    Where exactly is the pain? Which movements hurt? What stretch(es) are you doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Where exactly is the pain? Which movements hurt? What stretch(es) are you doing?
    Its kind of just in from hip bone above my quadricep.
    Running uphill (sometimes) when leg is extended out flat on a night (I am either sitting at computer at work or teaching classes).
    Can feel it on some sit-ups that involve more hip flexor movement.

The psoas stretch - where lie on a bench and pull one leg to chest other down to the floor. I had somebody add the pressure and mark on the bench the difference between where each knee dropped down too (difference was just under an inch).
    I always do general leg streches after classes and most runs...quads, hamstrings, calves, glute.

Master

Sounds like ilio-psoas inflammation, often called psoas bursitis. This usually causes pain when the hip is actively flexed, for example running uphill but also putting socks on, or cutting your toe nails; a good test is lying on your back and lifting the affected leg straight up against the downward pressure of the other leg - if this does not hurt it is probably not psoas bursitis, and you may need to see a professional - physio or sports trained doctor - to get a diagnosis.

If it is psoas bursitis, then I would recommend the following:

The best stretch for this is in the lunge position - support your weight on your hands (table/chairs) and concentrate on keeping the back leg straight and your back vertical and feel the stretch in the area you describe.

Try to avoid situations where the hip is flexed for a long time, for example sitting or in bed. If sitting only sit on the unaffected buttock so that the affected thigh can be vertical with your knee bent and the lower leg on the floor behind you. In bed if on your side have the affected leg behind you, and if lying on the couch have the affected leg on the floor.

Do eccentric psoas exercises - reverse sit ups. Take 5 seconds or so to lower your back to the floor from the sitting up position - then either do a normal sit up or push yourself back up with your arms. Do 30 or so. Always follow with lunge stretches as above. It sounds like you are already doing core exercises - continue these: for example front/back/side planks for 60 seconds in each position x 4: total time 16 minutes.

There is no need to stop training, just avoid what actually hurts.

Good luck.

Sounds like ilio-psoas inflammation, often called psoas bursitis. This usually causes pain when the hip is actively flexed, for example running uphill but also putting socks on, or cutting your toe nails; a good test is lying on your back and lifting the affected leg straight up against the downward pressure of the other leg - if this does not hurt it is probably not psoas bursitis, and you may need to see a professional - physio or sports trained doctor - to get a diagnosis.

Good luck.
    Can you describe this action to me in more detail please....little confused (I might just be having a blonde moment)

Thanks for all of the advice, very helpful.

Master

Lying flat on your back, keeping both legs straight, cross them at the ankle with the affected leg underneath - press down with your good leg and up with the affected leg - if psoas is inflamed at all - and it will be if the bursa is inflamed as it is the biggest bursa in the body - it will hurt in the area just in front of the hip joint.

Lying flat on your back, keeping both legs straight, cross them at the ankle with the affected leg underneath - press down with your good leg and up with the affected leg - if psoas is inflamed at all - and it will be if the bursa is inflamed as it is the biggest bursa in the body - it will hurt in the area just in front of the hip joint.
    Cool thank you Mike. That is how I tried it and just wasn't 100% sure!!

Also I think your diagnosis is correct...
    Last edited by ashstroller; 26-09-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Sometimes this forum is pure genius!!

Good luck with that Ash, sounds like you'll be ok.

:thumbup:
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Stop whinging and just gerron with it......puff

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Stop whinging and just gerron with it......puff
    Don't worry Nee Bother I will still be running tonight! See Mike says I can still train...

Yea got to agree its a brilliant forum fell guy