Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast marathons

Fast marathons

Which do people recommend as quick marathons?

I need a fairly flat course, minor undulations can help and a strong field.. I struggle running on my own.. looking to run well into 2:30's... so would want plenty of runners around me. I've done 2:42 on a fairly hillly route but was on my own for much of the race..

Looked at Donastia, Seville, Barca but still not sure.. anytime from the end of November through to early April, with entries still available. Dublin is still an option but was thinking later..

Don't mind traveling.

Re: Fast marathons

Edinburgh is a very fast course. Places still available but not sure when it is. Flattest course there is apparently :-) x
    PS strong field guaranteed :-)

My PB 2.52.14 was in Frankfurt 1995. Good fast, flat course.
    http://www.bmw-frankfurt-marathon.com/
    I believe there were over 10,000 runners last year and the winning time was 2.03.

Master

Berlin is a great course and a great place to visit but unfortunately the timing is wrong .....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Berlin is a great course and a great place to visit but unfortunately the timing is wrong .....
    Yeah.. tried to get an entry,.. am tempted by Abbingdon?.. I'm at an interview in Plymouth the day before Eryri Marathon so that could replace it.. I'll have a think but I'm not a fan of long drives the day before a race..

krakow marathon is flat and great city to visit, usually first weekend in may though...plenty fast runners do it

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Yeah.. tried to get an entry,.. am tempted by Abbingdon?.. I'm at an interview in Plymouth the day before Eryri Marathon so that could replace it.. I'll have a think but I'm not a fan of long drives the day before a race..
    I may be wrong, but I think Abingdon is very full if you meant for this year. I think there is a transfer system, but the waiting list is also very long from what I know. Unless you know someone specifically who wants to give your their spot.

It is pancake-flat though from what I've been told by people I know who've run it.

What about Luton? Supposed to be reasonably flat. http://www.lutonmarathon.org.uk/
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Greater Manchester Marathon is claiming to be "the flattest and possibly the fastest marathon in the UK with only 55m of gain".
    Late April though...........
    http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/

Rotterdam (very flat).
    Paris (not quite as flat, there are a couple of slight climbs, but it's the marathon with the highest number of sub-3 hour runners).

Quote Originally Posted by A-B View Post
    Greater Manchester Marathon is claiming to be "the flattest and possibly the fastest marathon in the UK with only 55m of gain".
    Late April though...........
    http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/
    Thanks want a good crack at the 3 peaks... so ideally a good 3 weeks prior to that... surprised though, did Jungfrau 3 weeks ago and have ran 90+ miles every week since.. couldn't believe how little it took out of me.. which probably meant I left to much on the road...

Will look at Paris and Rotterdam timing wise.. Re Abb.. hadn't even looked at entries'' just assumed it wouldn't be full.. cheers..