Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been last?

Question Have you ever been last?

Anyone been last in a race?

I know this won't apply to most on this forum but last weekend I was very nearly last in a race! Alright it was the Lairig Ghru and 28 miles long but I was a bit shocked and pssd off at my performance even though it was my first time and longest run ever. I know someone has to come last but it was still a shock to come be so far down from the leaders (almost twice the time!). By the way one of the best races I've done so far - will be there next year!

Re: Have you ever been last?

Quote Originally Posted by barneyboy View Post

I know this won't apply to most on this forum but last weekend I was very nearly last in a race! Alright it was the Lairig Ghru and 28 miles long but I was a bit shocked and pssd off at my performance even though it was my first time and longest run ever. I know someone has to come last but it was still a shock to come be so far down from the leaders (almost twice the time!). By the way one of the best races I've done so far - will be there next year!
    when i was a junior i finished last in the greater manchester championships think i'd only been running a couple of months
    Track rules

Last year I had a shocker at the Moffat Chase, last by around 30minutes on a boiling hot day, 6.5hours in all I think for 26k & 1500m. The winner was just under 3, so I wasn't pleased and my norm then would have been around 60% over. However I had dropped out of Glen Rosa on another hot day and this time I was determined not to stop.

Now I am organising a race though I am not sure I would do that again as I guess I wasn't thinking of the marshals.

Not fun but character building and its like an embarrasment inoculation...after the first few jokes anyway!

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Banned

Yep, I've been last on this years Blackstone edge. (the one on you tube)
    I ran with 3 of our ladies and really enjoyed the experience of helping them round.
    Does the position matter?
    I am not RR or Oxo so to help the girls enjoy a good evening out ment a lot to me.
    Remember no body wins unless everbody wins.

Not yet, but I'm heading in that direction rather than the other direction .... so give me time and probably one day, yes.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Last year's Crowden Horseshoe was my first serious fell race and I had a real shock at how difficult it was - I lost touch with everyone and I limped home last, very embarrassed (the recorder said there was another to come, but I'd seen someone pull up in the first mile, so I think I was last - never saw the results published).

What worried me was keeping the marshalls and the recorder waiting - I apologised and they didn't seem to mind!

Last week I was the last person to get through the timeout in the Reservoir Bogs, so technically I was last but there were people behind me retired. Still shook me up a bit though.

Wake up call for me maybe. I don't mind finishing last as long as I'm not pissing people off - but my worry is that I might get worse as I get older (I'm not a vet yet!), so I think the time has come to get some proper training in and move up the field a bit (I stopped training for running years ago, I just turn up for as many races as I can now - I'm taking the mickey really).
    Last edited by RichK; 30-06-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Good story Rich about Crowden. I feel sort of similar. The past 3 years I've trained but relied on being a "3 times a week man". It's seen me through races OK, usually the lower end of mid-table, so shouldn't complain really.

However, as I'm not far off the vet category (yikes! ) I'm in the process of ramping it up to 5 runs a week hopefully. I've also entered my first road marathon so need to get some miles in. Fingers crossed - all this mileage might rub off on the fell races!

I was nearly last the first time I ran the fell relays.
    It was Hayfield 2004 and I was about 50th on leg 1 when we got onto the edge of Kinder but then
    I began to lose places on the path over the Downfall and even more on the descent from Sandy Heys.
    I just managed to hand over 89th out of 90!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Not yet, but I'm heading in that direction rather than the other direction .... so give me time and probably one day, yes.

Moley .....It's not as bad as you might think.

I came last at the Rusland Show Fell race a few years ago. There was only 15 of us in the race.

Whilst i quickly found my pace, which as most pepople on here know, is of the type favoured by arthritic tortoises, i was left for dead from the start.

Whilst it was a bit of a psychological blow and another notch on my downward curve of diminishing physical ability i got a massive cheer.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by barneyboy View Post
    The probability of being last in a race is exactly the same as being first in the same race.

It is equally difficult to win a race!
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker