Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been last?

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    I was last at Wasdale one year. It was still one of my proudest moments.
    You were only the last one to finish DinoF, I bet there were people who didn't make it as far as you that day!

I was last at Wasdale one year. It was still one of my proudest moments.
    I thought I was last when I finished my first Wasdale. I wasn't bothered, just glad to get round. I assumed I was the last one through the cut off on Gable but I think the marshals were feeling generous that day. It was a surprise when one more came in behind me while I was 'recovering' on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dangilbert View Post
    I thought I was last when I finished my first Wasdale.
    I was coming down Lingmell Nose and far below I could see there were only 3 cars left in the car park. One of them belonged to the race organiser.

It's true, there are always plenty of DNFs at every Wasdale, WJB, so I didn't feel TOO bad
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

2012 results, Dangilbert! I was that "one more"!

Wasdale2012.jpg
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

[QUOTE=DinoF;629872]2012 results, Dangilbert! I was that "one more"!

Ha ha! I remember reaching the bottom of Gable with a small group and we knew it was going to be tight to make the cut off. I put a lot off effort in up the climb to make it and remember feeling pretty chuffed when I got through. That soon subsided as I dragged my sorry ass up to Esk Hause though!

2012 results, Dangilbert! I was that "one more"!
    I wasn't too far ahead that year I finished in 6h21! I remember running with someone with my club until Pillar when the wheels came off! Dragged myself to the finish and thought I might be last until a few more arrived!

I'm going to try not to be last, if I can actually make it back out to try a race this year! My last race (a couple of years or so ago) ended after a couple of hundred yards when I went into cardiac AF...........it was funny back at the finish being clean and looking fairly fresh as sweaty mud splattered friends came in ''you must have had a flyer - never saw you'' etc.
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    I'm going to try not to be last, if I can actually make it back out to try a race this year! My last race (a couple of years or so ago) ended after a couple of hundred yards when I went into cardiac AF...........it was funny back at the finish being clean and looking fairly fresh as sweaty mud splattered friends came in ''you must have had a flyer - never saw you'' etc.
    I hope that you get back ok, Chris. You used to be quite a force. From what I remember, you were a crucial element of the support team on our Steve's BG Round, back in '94.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

1994! I was an athlete then - and that was quite a round in not the best of conditions - oh and the 'new improved Petzl Zoom'!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Doing one of Brett's night runs some years ago (on my local fell race course as it happened), I was in bad shape for some reason and was definitely last until one Graham Breeze took a wrong turn and scuppered my plans! Damn you Breezy, damn you!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back