Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been last?

Re: Have you ever been last?

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    The probability of being last in a race is exactly the same as being first in the same race.
    It is equally difficult to win a race!
    It is easier to be last: Dave Attwell finished last in all five of the Cheshire 5K Road Race series this year.
    Because he set out to do that.

Last!? Oh yes, fire service v RAf v police cross country, but take it as a challenge to spur you on to greater deeds. Or don't worry and just enjoy the run!

Despite the avatar and a few "near last experiences" I have managed to avoid it upto now... I feel it is only a matter of time though. If being comprehensively beaten was such a problem, I wouldn't start anything, so I don't think coming last should be so shameful. You're out there doing it, which is more than can be said for most of the population.

However, my wife never comes to watch as I am always so far down... for me to come last would be a greater shame for her to carry than me! As she is never there, it would probably be best not to mention it!

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    However, my wife never comes to watch as I am always so far down... for me to come last would be a greater shame for her to carry than me! As she is never there, it would probably be best not to mention it!

I had foolishly invited my wife, my mum and my brother and his wife along to unwittingly witness my humiliation.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post

I had foolishly invited my wife, my mum and my brother and his wife along to unwittingly witness my humiliation.
    Yes, but I bet they were proud of you just doing it! I had my kids cheering me on at my leg of the Rochdale Canal Relays. I clocked the 4th slowest time of the leg so was a bit down. I was then picking my son up from a party when one of his friends came and said my son reckons I am a fast runner! Hence the whole taking part and doing it is better than not at all. (My son is 9 so knows what is fast as well!)
    www.vlaevents.co.uk Fancy something different?

I've come last in one race. The final of the English Schools Steeplechase and I was last by 10 seconds guess who got the biggest cheer of the weekend. The shame is that year I came into the championships with the 6th quickest time

About 8 years ago I got collared into running a track 5000m for the now defunct Parkside Harriers in Leeds. Made my way over to the meet at sunny Scunny, to find that the 5000m was run by both divisions which were at the meet. Set off at one hell of a pace, got lapped 3 times by the leaders and found myself in last place coming into the final 200ms. There was a guy about 30 m in front of me so I put in a spurt caught him up, kicked his crutches away and just pipped him to the line. Did 18:40 which is still the fastest I have done 5k in but vowed never to run on a track again !
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Not come Last last but always VERY close to it - it's only a matter of time

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Not come Last last but always VERY close to it - it's only a matter of time
    I think you should give up on the steroids Emmilou, you seem to be changing gender judging by your avatar ! Dont remember your pecs being quite so manly !!
    If you cant change something, change the way you feel about it !

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    I think you should give up on the steroids Emmilou, you seem to be changing gender judging by your avatar ! Dont remember your pecs being quite so manly !!

mind you i'm on the iron now - perhaps that's wot done it?!!