Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been last?

Re: Have you ever been last?

Last in both the now long defunct Otley and Wetherby half marathons way back in about 1984. If I remember rightly Jimmy Saville was running in the Otley one.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hollingworth tortoise View Post
    Last!? Oh yes, fire service v RAf v police cross country, but take it as a challenge to spur you on to greater deeds. Or don't worry and just enjoy the run!
    Is that the WMSXC League? I used to run in it for RAF Sealand when there was a RAF Sealand .Is the league still going?
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

I have been last in a number of races!! And ones I've ran quite hard too....

It's due to being careless about navigating when in misty conditions - leading to me running many extra miles. I've had the experience of overtaking people 3 or 4 times, only to finish behind them!!!!

Just goes to show that value of reckies!!!

It's quite a contrast, some days I seem to run well and finish up in the top ten (even top 4 once), but other days will come in last place!!! and that's racing the same people, it's not as if there's a different field!! Sometimes it's down to misdirection, others due to illness, injury, or general can't be arsed today....

You have to have a laugh about it though, but do feel sorry for the organisers!!!..
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Amazingly, I've never been last yet. But always very very close to it in fell races. Only 2 behind me at Cader!!

I'm nowhere near last in road races though - I usually just make the top half in my category. It's a completely different standard in fell races isn't it?

I'd always choose a fell race over a road race though, even though I know one day I WILL be last
    I think I'll walk this bit....

Banned
    Finished last at 8 out of 9 Bofra races.

Was presented with a Hope torch �� at the presentation evening.

Must think I'll be even slower next year.

Great series of races and people.

Only 5 behind me at Buttermere Horseshoe this year. I had gone off far too fast and was wrecked by Honister. I knew I was well down the field, but genuinely shocked only 5 behind me. Having said all that, I was happy just to get round, it's no walk in the park, that one!

Was last in a local schools championship track 800 metres when I was about 12. Although I was doing quite well at cross country at the time, and only did the 800 because nobody else would. Same as now, the short distances too fast and furious for me!

I was last at the fell race on my wedding day. However, technically I wasn't as there were 2 DNF's and a sweeper :-)

Quite a few years ago I was last at Duddon. It was a scorching hot day with quite a few dropouts at the 3 Shires stone. I kept going, severe cramps at Dow Crag, the last lady caught me just before Caw as I was about to head straight for the finish and bail out.
    She persuaded me to join her up the last peak and when we came in to the finish it was a 3-2-1 and dib to register a joint last finish.
    Only she went on the 1 and I went on the "and dib"

The day was made by a chat with Joss Naylor as I climbed Swirl How. I remember Emilou having a selfie with him.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Second last - a leg of this year's Hodgson Brothers' Relay - but it was one of the best runs ever for all sorts of reasons.

What is last?
    See the light in the night