Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been last?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm sure I was last in plenty of orienteering events; but orienteering is organised differently, with each age group doing a different course, and it's easy to have a couple of navigational foul-ups to give you a 3-hour run on a course where the winner is doing 75 minutes. But I have never been last in a fell race.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    What is last?
    Second or lower

I was once last on the Fellsman - which does take a bit of doing.

It was back in the 1970s, when the race used to start at 12.00 on the Saturday, and I passed through Cray at around 8.00am on Sunday morning. On this particular occasion, it was before the route went into Grassington via Yarnbury, when there was a checkpoint at Capplestone Gate where competitors turned down to Conistone so they could take the back road past Grass Woods.

I decided to have a rest at the side of the track down into the valley.

Later that day, my wife Alison, who was waiting for me at the finish in Threshfield, became concerned when the organisers started packing up. She asked if they were sure that everybody had finished and was told that there was only one person still out there, coming in with the sweepers. "They found him fast asleep at the side of the lane".

Technically, I think I came last in a fun run in Rome many years ago. At registration, I was told that I couldn't enter the half marathon as I wasn't a registered club athlete, but I could do the 3 mile fun run. As they had a common start, I just kept running when the courses split, finishing in about 85 minutes. My bar code was duly scanned when I crossed the line.

At Howtown this year I was second to last at the first checkpoint. Would have been last had there not been a V60 who I could see running with the sweeper behind me. I was well behind the main field and I think I only finished 60th out of 67 runners due to others going the wrong way!

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Second or lower
    I've come second in a race and I've also come lower than that in another race.
    See the light in the night

Came last in the 3 peaks the year it was the world long distance race, but got my picture in a Norwegian trail magazine, don't know what it said maybe something about the plonker at the back.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Was last at TWA last year. Did manage to overtake the last AW runner but then a slight nav hiccup coming of the fell side rightfully restored me to the final placing.
    Am going to enter the waltz this year......
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

I was last at Wasdale one year. It was still one of my proudest moments.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

I was last AND disqualified at our club Baffler last year. Some how I managed to miss my partner in the dark and had to do an extra loop. Our club events are great fun, Man v bike, relays and the Baffler.