Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing off OS map?

Printing off OS map?

Is there any way I can print off sections of OS map? Nice and simple method, log onto site and print what I want, on a big bit of paper. Doing a route in S. Wales on Saturday and although I have a 1:50,000 route is so complicated (26 miles round Cwmbran/Newport area) and my eyesight is so bad I could do with something bigger - that doesn't involve purchasing another map!

I don't want to end up lost for hours in Cwmbran and be mugged!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Re: Printing off OS map?

Doesn't Grough have a service that does this, ye may have to pay though
    pies

You can print from both Streetmap and Bing but you don't get much on each page unless you first save the image and paste several adjacent ones onto one page in a new document - a bit of a fiddle, but you get the hang of it.
    But beware the scale claimed; it's 100% out in both Streetmap and Bing. That is to say, if you use the zoom function in Streetmap, at zoom level 4 it says the scale is 1:50,000. That should mean 2cm = 1km, but on the map displayed 4cm(and a bit) = 1km! Curiously it is actually the OS 1:50,000 map version that you're seeing (in terms of features marked) just scaled up. If you move to zoom level 3 it claims 1:25,000. You're now seeing the OS 1:25,000 version (walls/fences, marshland etc. is shown) but 8cm = 1km! I don't think Bing actually gives a scale but the same mismatch between 4cm = 1km showing a 1:50,000 map (in terms of features). Not a problem once you are aware but a little confusing when you think you've printed a 1:25,000 map then realise some features you were expecting aren't there.
    Remember 1 square is a km no matter the size of the square on the paper and you're safe but beware if you're measuring a route with a good old piece of string against a ruler (anyone else still do that?).

I have successfully printed maps from the Where's the path site: Not sure if you are wanting a map of a large area or a map at a larger scale, but it may be worth a look.

http://wtp2recorder.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Thanks for that, I'll have a play. I'm fine with the route over the moorland etc. but where it goes through built up areas or places with multiple footpaths converging it's a nightmare trying to read it direct off a 1:50k (with my eyes), I can blow those bits up so I can see them. There's 5 pages of complicated route description for the 26m (ldwa event), which gives some idea of the complexity of route!!

But 26m + 5700ft makes it worth a Saturday run out.

Slight variation of Lateges method for getting larger areas of mapping:
    - take several screengrabs of mapping from Bing etc. Use fullscreen view to get as much map as possible at a time, and make sure you have a slight overlap at the edge between one area of map and the next
    - crop the screengrabs to remove all the non-map stuff from around the edges
    - Use this free program from Microsoft which will quickly and easily merge all your smaller bits of map into one big image.
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

Looks like you can get a larger area per Print_Screen/Print from the Where's the Path site than from either Bing or Streetmap. Will try that in future.

Richsund, does the MS program really make it much easier than just pasting the screens into a normal doc and aligning them?

Well, I've found it the easiest way.
    It's designed to automatically join photos by finding matching features in separate photos - but it will do exactly the same with maps, as long as you have overlapping bits of map around the edges of your screengrabs.
    It's definitely less faff than pasting all the images into Word or whatever and trying to make them match up, which is what I used to do.
    The only workout you'll ever regret is the one you didn't do.

Bugger, set the alarm for 6.00 and it didn't go off, I woke 45 minutes later. First time in my life I have ever overslept for an event of any kind . Could have just made the start but a 60 mile drive, no breakfast and 26 mile hill run seemed a recipe for disaster.

Never mind, one of the joys of living in the country is that I shall walk out the door and straight up onto the hills from home on a gorgeous sunny day - and safe myself £30 in entry and petrol (for the pub tonight) :thumbup:.

That's a bit unfortunate
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success