Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Re: Darren Holloway (Pennine)

Daz has done the Anni Waltz for many years and there have been many entertaining momements.... The lady minding her own picnic on the side of Catbells who suddenly found Daz sat on her head.... the lost watch!! and more - many more. Every year he ordered a race mug, Well actually he ordered 2 on the grounds he would drop one... or both... I suspect he gave the other to someone he thought had had a good race. He was just that kind of bod.
    Wings to your feet Daz - you'll be missed
    Last edited by wynn; 10-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    It's taken a long time for me to summon up the courage to write something here, mainly because I simply don't have the words to describe how I'm feeling. Daz was such a good friend, I'm going to miss him terribly. I can't even begin to imagine how Amanda and Josh must be feeling.

The problem is, I don't do words. Daz did words, he did words very well, both spoken and written. The best thing I can do is provide yet another example of Daz's selflessness. This is an extract from an email he sent to a friend last year when I was struggling with an injury and it was looking like I wouldn't be able to run again:-

I've openly said I would trade all my 1st vet 40s, all my top tens etc etc etc just for Geoff to be able to run by the side of me in a race.

I always think of others, especially Pennine members.

That's just how he was - a perfect gentleman.

I was out last night with Stevie K. and he's, understandably, very shook up still.
    Best Wishes to you and Stevie K. Geoff. Daz wouldn't want to see you both hurting, or anyone else for that matter.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I first met Daz at the Kinder Trog in 2006 when he sought advice from a highly experienced and knowledgable fell runner......He'd never done a long race
    It didn't take Daz long to establish himself. By 2007 he finished 12th in the Windgather Race.

It was 5 years later (to the day) whilst we were holding this year's race that he lost his life. He packed a fair bit in to those few years didn't he!

Anyway, the proceeds from this years Windgather race will be going to Daz's two charities (£600 in total to be divided half each).

Please could someone PM me so that I can let the very fine people of Buxton Rotary club (who have agreed to this) know where to send each cheque

Word’s just don’t seem enough. I was fortunate to spend Daz’s last few hours with him. I can still hear him shouting back words of encouragement to me as I was climbing hart crag “come on, dig in Stevie” and I won’t forget the great banter and chats we had that morning. Daz told me we’d be fine as long I didn’t run a 6 minute mile at the start and that I could go a bit faster if I got a haircut!

I feel privileged to have been friends with Daz and to run as his partner was an honour. It’s hard to imagine the starting line without him.

Thank you for everyone who helped however they could on Sunday and thank you for all the messages I have received from my friends at Pennine and other clubs.

Thinking of Amanda and Josh at this sad time xx

Steve K

Steve I was looking forward to seeing the two of you at Hartsop Hall on Sunday. Alan B made us laugh when he told us you were wondering where we were but of course you had gone by the time we sauntered up there. I was flapping a bit but of course Dave S is nearly as laid back as Daz haha. Hope you are OK.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Quote Originally Posted by steviek View Post
    Word’s just don’t seem enough. I was fortunate to spend Daz’s last few hours with him. I can still hear him shouting back words of encouragement to me as I was climbing hart crag “come on, dig in Stevie” and I won’t forget the great banter and chats we had that morning. Daz told me we’d be fine as long I didn’t run a 6 minute mile at the start and that I could go a bit faster if I got a haircut!

I feel privileged to have been friends with Daz and to run as his partner was an honour. It’s hard to imagine the starting line without him.

Thank you for everyone who helped however they could on Sunday and thank you for all the messages I have received from my friends at Pennine and other clubs.

Thinking of Amanda and Josh at this sad time xx

Steve K
    Steve you have my sympathy too. It must have been an awful experience, remember you have suffered too and it may take a while for it to sink in properly. Take it easy and cherish the good times.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Steve I was looking forward to seeing the two of you at Hartsop Hall on Sunday. Alan B made us laugh when he told us you were wondering where we were but of course you had gone by the time we sauntered up there. I was flapping a bit but of course Dave S is nearly as laid back as Daz haha. Hope you are OK.
    Hi grouse , we was wondering where you was at the
    start of leg 4 but glad you got your numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Steve you have my sympathy too. It must have been an awful experience, remember you have suffered too and it may take a while for it to sink in properly. Take it easy and cherish the good times.
    Thanks rob, I think it is going to take a while

I loved following Daz's blog and he was clearly a really great guy. It's very moving to see so much respect and love for him.

Stuart
    Pensby Runners

Its been a while since I have been on the forum but like everyone else was shocked to hear the sad news about Daz. I didn’t know Daz other than by the forum. I hope that the universal affection and respect that have been shown for him can be of some comfort to his wife and child at this awful time. It's very moving to see so much respect and love for him.

Dave Pinno - Penny Lane Striders