Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six County Tops

Six County Tops

I had cracking day out yesterday with MOUNTAIN MAN, running the Peak Six County Tops. We rationalised the original route that was done last December, which reduced the distance to 45 miles, & there's about 6300 ft of climbing.

We left a car at Crowden, then drove to park the second car up by where the Cheeks Hill path leaves the minor road near Buxton, GR026704 (It's a point to point run, so you need 2 cars or a support driver). We set off at 7:33...

0:04 Cheeks Hill (Staffordshire). Not so much a hill, more a wall corner on a slope.

Then the only main road stretch, 1.5 miles to the Cat & Fiddle, in the cloud.

0:44 Shining Tor (Cheshire East), & the cloud lifted.

Paths & quiet roads now to Kinder, with the weather really rather good for running: no wind & the right temperature. We went via Errwood Reservor dam, Combs, Lower Crossings, New Smithy & Beet Farm (the High Peak 40 route) which worked pretty well, it's all fast. Then along the fence line past Brown Knoll & up the Pennine Way to the Kinder Low trig. Luckily we had good visibility so only faffed around for a few minutes finding the official "top" (using back bearings on Kinder Low & the Wool Packs).

4:02 Kinder Scout (Derbyshire)

SSE & we picked up the Edale Skyline shortcut to the head of Grindsbrook, & followed the edge path from there to Crookstone. On the way the heavens opened & we got 30 minutes of cold rain & sleet. That really wasn't pleasant, considering we weren't exactly equipped for winter conditions. Down to the Ladybower Reservoirs to warm up, then with the weather back as it was we climbed up the good track From Howden Dam to Howden Edge & started the awful boggy trudge. It's really wet up there this weekend, & we were up to our knees many times.

7:38 High Stones (South Yorkshire)

...and the swamp continued along the tops all the way to Featherbed Moss & down to the A628 Woodhead road. It's not quite as bad over Dead Edge End and Britland Edge Hill, but we were getting pretty tired by this point & it took forever to reach Holme Moss. A steady trudge up Black Hill got even blacker & we had to don headtorches, but we were lucky enough to find the path up OK.

11:30 Black Hill (West Yorkshire)

Yippee - flagstones. Say what you like about them, they're a godsend on Black Hill in the dark. We managed to pcik more or less the right point to cut up right to the fence & follow it left to...

12:21 Black Chew Hill (Greater Manchester)

Back down to the Pennine Way & down to Crowden...

13:19 Crowden car park

Sorry for such a long post, but it was a long day out. I'll try not to make the forum my personal blog in future. And we reckon this is a really good day out.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master

Re: Six County Tops

That sounds brilliant, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    That sounds brilliant, well done.
    Super achievement. The second completion! Well done. Nearly the same route as I have planned....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Super achievement. The second completion! Well done. Nearly the same route as I have planned....
    Rodders, I have thought about this or the circular 4 county version but am not familiar with the High Stones to Black Hill section at all. I have looked at a map countless times and still have no idea of a best route. Do you have info on how best to do this section?

Simon

Hi 4 county tops has to be via dead end edge. 6 county i would go pw north from crowden.
    I am happy to show you both this sat morning.

Master

Rodders, I am out injured at moment, but if you are happy to sometime, perhaps we could meet up for a recce?

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I had cracking day out yesterday with MOUNTAIN MAN, running the Peak Six County Tops. We rationalised the original route that was done last December, which reduced the distance to 45 miles, & there's about 6300 ft of climbing.
    Yes this is a really good day out and in reasonable underfoot conditions and with daylight and OK weather 12 hours would not be an unrealistic target even for plodders like me and Splatcher. I don't think the 6 tops is any more difficult than the 4 tops circular - there is just the minor inconvenience of it being linear so you need two cars or support. We did not realise beforehand but having Fairholmes in the middle of the route provides a useful support point as there is a kiosk providing drinks and snacks so you don't need to be self-sufficient.

There is nowhere else in the country where you can knock off 6 county tops in a day's run so it's definitely one for the 'to-do' list.

Had a bash yesterday. My route was just over 47 miles. Completed in 13:55.

Solo until Crowden, then some company for Black Chew Head and Black Hill. Very enjoyable.

details below.

http://www.strava.com/activities/130734882

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Had a bash yesterday. My route was just over 47 miles. Completed in 13:55.

Solo until Crowden, then some company for Black Chew Head and Black Hill. Very enjoyable.

details below.

http://www.strava.com/activities/130734882
    Excellent Rodders...Very Well Done!!!
    We (Rucksackers') had a walking wander around the 4DkPk4Ct's and did wonder about the extra 2 ...last weekend..
    We "enjoyed" some rather tough weather for while, but got home safe back at Bowden Bridge for 11pm'ish...
    Having headed off at 6am'ish...on Sat morn'..
    But, twas a walk, rather than a run or bimble
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Shack View Post
    Excellent Rodders...Very Well Done!!!
    We (Rucksackers') had a walking wander around the 4DkPk4Ct's and did wonder about the extra 2 ...last weekend..
    We "enjoyed" some rather tough weather for while, but got home safe back at Bowden Bridge for 11pm'ish...
    Having headed off at 6am'ish...on Sat morn'..
    But, twas a walk, rather than a run or bimble
    I definitely had the weather on my side this time.
    I have had a trot round the 4DkPk4C a few years ago, but not the prescribed route. It was very blowy and the wind was cold on Saturday so hats off to you for toughing it out.