Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BG attempts 27th to 29th June

Re: BG attempts 27th to 29th J

GPS? Well I got given one to carry the other weekend when pacing the Helvellyn section but it just stayed in the top pocket of my sack beeping, whether the beeps were to comfort me or tell me off I don't know. Even in the murk I was quite happy with my map and compass and we didn't get lost.
    I've no problem with a GPS as that effects no one else and any with a supported round your pacers should be leading the way anyways does it matter what they use?
    But marking the route is different, part of the challenge for some is to navigate around using features and there own cunning.

Bill

This is building up to me and divot getting lost back o' Skiddaw

I might be playing Devil's Advocate here but this is turning into the sort of thread that used to annoy me when I saw it on climbing websites.......if we're not careful we end up with the elite few mouthing off about what should and should not be allowed just because they can do it or have done it, and there's a forum that they can use as a mouthpiece. Don't get me wrong I take my hat off to them and stand in awe of what they can achieve but for most of the populus who take part in the challenge (or are going to) it's a very personal thing and the satisfaction comes in being out there and doing it rather than pontificating about the purity of the style and other aspects of the minutiae relating to a Round.

At the end of the day, it's a long way with a lot of climbing and it's a persons legs and feet and mind that do the hard work and it will usually take them right to their limit whether or not they have pacers, use GPS or have been out and placed a little cairn to mark the start of a trod.

For most they've set off running when we're tucked up asleep in bed, still been running when we're getting up, continued throughout the day while we're having lunch, going out training or racing, still running after we've got home, had tea and been to the pub and finishing when we're tucked up in bed again. I think it's discussions like this that spoil the experience for a lot of contenders more than the odd cairn or use of a GPS while you're out there.

Here here!

Thumbs up Re: BG attempts 27th to 29th J

I might be playing Devil's Advocate here but this is turning into the sort of thread that used to annoy me when I saw it on climbing websites
    Your right it is taking away some of the achievement of people who have done the round and this isn't the thread for it.

Doing any of the big rounds is a massive accomplishment and no one should think otherwise and a its very personal thing we all have our own goals.

Well done to everyone who's just done it I hope your able to walk again now

Bill

Did you read what was actually said:

I also added:

'I suppose its the call of the attempter and how they sit with it. It it doesn't have any long term detrimental effects to the landscape then that's really all that matters.'

I stand by my view that I'd rather not see it. I'm sorry but seige tactics like the use of ladders and marking is going too far IMO. If people want to do so, then that's their call, but i see nothing wrong with saying this is going too far IMO.

The use of a ladder on a classic scramble blocks the route for others and adds an element of danger that need not be there for other hill users.

Maybe as a mountaineer first and foremost I hold stronger views about respecting other hill users and the environment.

I hardly think it is 'elitist' to say please don't mark the ground. It may be degradable. I'd also add that the flora of the high ground is extremely sensitive and especially in Snowdonia contains many rare alpines which are only just holding on to the edge of their existance, and so any release of chemicals should be gaurded against.

It would be interesting to hear what people like Jos Naylor feel about such things.

Fell runners are generally held in quite high regard by the general public, hill walkers and park authorities, should such practices become common this would rapidly change.

I'm quite suprised such views are held as 'elitist'.

I don;t think IainR was being eliteist. I think some people are less impressed than others with a well supported round and that's up to them. I'm a mid-pack runner and getting round under my own power with good support is something i'm really proud of. Iain might think that this is something moderate, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind my saying that I didn;t do it to impress him or anyone else. I set my own standards and goals and worked bloody hard to meet them.

As for what Jos might think; it would be interesting, but whilst the man is a legend, his view is not the gospel.

Fact is, each of us must decide what constitutes a BGR worth doing, which i think was IainRs point.

I think some people are less impressed than others with a well supported round and that's up to them
    What others think is irrelevant, I've seen how much contenders are taken aback by all their friends and family turning out to help them achieve there goal and even total strangers encouraging them on its an experience many will remember for the rest of their lives.

I have actually felt bad about going unsupported with Divot because of all the offers of pacing I've had, its very humbling (don't worry everyone I've still got use for some support if this goes ok)

Bill

Humbling is exactly the word i would use to describe how it felt to recieve so much help. I felt very humble at the end to see them all there with me too knackered to respond! One of my road crew ventured that she had had a far better weekend than me as it was such a laugh and the whole thing was so exciting .

O
    One of my road crew ventured that she had had a far better weekend than me as it was such a laugh and the whole thing was so exciting
    Yes that true everyone in the pub after having a good crack while the contender starts to nod off in the corner.

Bill