Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trotternish Ridge

Re: Trotternish Ridge New Race

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Ben race on the first Saturday and, after that, English schools are back which would affect families trying to come up for it. What about mid-August to tie in with the Skye Games race on the Wednesday? Runners get a "2 for the price of 1" and EVERYONE should come along to a Highland Games at least once, plenty for all the family to enjoy.
    (just don't mention the August midges!)
    That'd interest me!! Highland games thrown in!! Never been to yin!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    It'd be a fantastic race! A beautiful area and, on the right date, I reckon HHRs will be out in force, and we'll certainly head up from Lochaber. We had a trip out there in the summer to run the whole ridge down to Portree, but foul weather saw us bale out at Beinn Edra and cut down below the crags and back to the cars.

There's a thought....have you considered 2 races in 1? A shorter option together with the full Trotternish Ridge? Might attract a few more?

Here is one HHR that would be interested dependent on date however I am toying with Lochaber Marathon in April and the cost of travelling up twice in the space of a few weeks may be prohibititve, now theres a thought it would be nice to come and do both.

We usually reckon to spend two or three weeks in Scotland in April/May and if the Trotternish Ridge happened to be on I would certainly run it.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Thanks for your replies. It's a good idea to time it with Games Day though the only chance I have of being in top ten is if noone turns up. It is a fun race though. We were thinking late spring as we tend to get better weather and the midges aren't too fierce yet. It is a busy time in the calendar though. I was up the first stretch on Thursday-Flodigarry-up over Meall na Suiramach and back through the Quiraing to start. About 7 miles and 600m. Weather started great but was sleeting and hail on the top. Glad to get back to the car. I'll keep you posted.
    Neil

Well the race is on. 18th May 11.00. Entries via Si Entries, 16 miles, 6000ft £12 including transport to start and back from Portree and refereshments at prizegiving in evening. We have to limit entries to 50 due to SNH restrictions this year but if all goes well it will be bigger next time.
    Those with keen eyes will notice that here is another race along the ridge in June. This is organised by the Rotary Club and is a fundraiser with sponsorship involved.
    Neil

You could come up to Skye, do the ridge then travel down to Jura during the week. Only a few hours drive to Kennacraig. Make it an Islands extravaganza

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Well the race is on. 18th May 11.00. Entries via Si Entries, 16 miles, 6000ft £12 including transport to start and back from Portree and refereshments at prizegiving in evening. We have to limit entries to 50 due to SNH restrictions this year but if all goes well it will be bigger next time.
    Those with keen eyes will notice that here is another race along the ridge in June. This is organised by the Rotary Club and is a fundraiser with sponsorship involved.
    Neil
    I had noticed there seemed to be two races, and wondered if there had been a change of date, so thanks for clearing up the confusion. The Rotary Club race goes south to north, is 20 miles and costs £20 to enter (plus a minimum of £50 sponsorship) whereas yours goes north to south, is a bit more my length at 16 miles and costs £12... looks like there's no contest!

You're right. Ours is a stripped down, basic, no frills, hill race. Great value at only 12 quid inc travel and evening refreshments. I think there are too many sponsored events on the go. There are only so many people you can ask for sponsorship before it seems cheeky. Up here we've got the Great Wilderness Challenge, Highland Cross, etc etc. All great events with money going to good causes but I keep having to ask the same people for sponsorship to do my hobby. Doesn't seem right. It would be different if I was having to endure something I hated, rather than do something I love. Anyway, it's blowing a gale tonight. Entries are dribbling in.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilly View Post
    Entries are dribbling in.
    Neil
    I just dribbled!! Looking forward to a cracking day out. We managed the route as far as Beinn Edra last summer in wild, misty conditions. Need to get out for a recce....if these gales ever stop!!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Gales are easing a bit here. Really wild on Tuesday-80 mph stuff. Not too bad today-was out on south end of Trotternish this afternoon. Very boggy underfoot. Thanks for dribbling. We need some women, if you know any. We're going out next Saturday from Flodigarry to Glenhinisdale if you're interested. Where are you?
    Neil

Places are filling up. Looks like we're going to be swamped by Lochaber runners. We're having some glorious weather this week but I can't guarantee it will be sunny in May. If the mist is down navigation is difficult , we got a bit waylaid week around Bein Edra.
    So far only entry from south of the border.
    Neil