Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Trotternish Ridge

This is back on again this year. 7th June. Entries on sientries. Last year was great but ' eventful'. Weather on day shocking with gales and low cloud down to 100m. Visibility was about 50m. Only half the field of 44 finished which must be some kind of record. If you're up for a tough race this is for you. It's a Long Classic this year so we're hoping for a good field. I managed to wander aimlessly around for over 5 hours about 90 minutes slower than last training run. Alex Keith won in 3.16 or thereabouts.

Hi neilly. I can't make the race, but if you're up for a recce in February that'd be good. I'm up in Skye with the family 15th to 22nd - cottage near Waternish Point.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Good stuff. My running partner Dave Till manages Skyeskyns nearby. I'm away down to Glasgow on 19th but we'll sort something out. I'm only about 15 minutes from you. If the weather's crap there's plenty of other good runs nearby.
    Neil

Entries slowly trickling in so don't delay. Was up on ridge on Sunday for 10 miles ish. Lovely and crisp and snowy.

Only 3 weeks to go if you're interested.Entries on sientries.

Nice idea Neilly. Know the route well, but not run it before. Careful not to clash with Fairfield, Buttermere Sailbeck or Ennerdale - all popular races. For next year obviously.

How many entries have you had?

Quote Originally Posted by Howbeck Andy View Post
    Nice idea Neilly. Know the route well, but not run it before. Careful not to clash with Fairfield, Buttermere Sailbeck or Ennerdale - all popular races. For next year obviously.

How many entries have you had?
    We've got about 40 so far. I'm hoping that there will be a rush in the next couple of weeks.. We had terrible weather last year and know there are a few guys waiting to see what the weather will do.
    Neil

Last chance to enter on sientries. If you're interested get in touch with me on 07880 171632 or [email protected].
    Neil

I'm staying in Flodigarry first weekend in October and will be looking to run along the ridge ( hopefully that is, I haven't ran for over 6 weeks but recovering well now ) How easy would it be to curtail the ridge say half way and run back along the coast? Or will I have to just run back along the road? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheReverand View Post
    I'm staying in Flodigarry first weekend in October and will be looking to run along the ridge ( hopefully that is, I haven't ran for over 6 weeks but recovering well now ) How easy would it be to curtail the ridge say half way and run back along the coast? Or will I have to just run back along the road? Thanks
    we ran the ridge a month or so ago and from memory if you start near portree the only viable option to drop off the ridge is at the Old Man after about 10km. Looking at the map it seemed to be that staying with the ridge would be easier than a steep scramble somewhere to get off the ridge, and then the however many kilometres to cross on boggy marshy no path terrain. Others probably have better local knowledge, but from a week on skye if there isnt a path marked on the map the running is likely to be hard, marshy tufty grass that reduces most to walking pace. I hope the weather is kind to you, I hear the ridge looks fabulous....we had rain and clag the whole run!