Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Club affiliation question

Club affiliation question

Does anyone know if it is possible for a runner to compete 1st claim on fell for club B (their otherwise 2nd claim club) while competing 1st claim on track, road and xc for club A.

If so how does one go about making this official?
    Do what you like, like what you do

Re: Club affiliation question

it is possible ye, i run 2nd claim on the fells for one club and 1st claim in all other disciplines for another. When joining said club as 2nd claim runner, they will be a tick box thing to complete and just indicate you are joining club as 2nd claim runner and only the fell running discipline. Officially you wont be allowed to compete in national events like fell relays etc. but unless you are running for a squad that is at the very sharp end of competition, a blind eye will be turned

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible for a runner to compete 1st claim on fell for club B (their otherwise 2nd claim club) while competing 1st claim on track, road and xc for club A.

As long as club A does not do fell, you can do what you like on the fells for club B.

I take it as, if it's in the FRA calendar I enter as Pennine. If it isn't I enter as BMHH. I've not had to tick any boxes but explained to my road/xc club when I joined that if it's a fell race I won't be racing in their vest or under their name. A few members of my road/xc club do a couple of the local fell races but most think I'm some sort of mythical beast.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    but most think I'm some sort of mythical beast.
    you mean you aren't ?

Thankyou all for the replies.

As far as I know Club A enter the occasional runner in the occasional fell race, but for all other intents and purposes are track, road and xc orientated. Club B's membership form only as ks to state whether club B is your 1st or 2nd claim club and if 2nd which is the 1st?
    Do what you like, like what you do

My understanding of this is it is not the runner but the club. So, my club (Pensby) is registered as fell but Wirral AC, for example, arent. Therefore someone can be 1st claim Wirral and 2nd claim Pensby and run all fells for us. But if their 1st clam was Dark Peak then they couldn't.

Every club affiliates for "Disciplines" which are
    Track and Field
    Road
    Cross Country
    Fell
    Race Walking
    and I think Trail is the final one.

It's just a tick box exercise on the clubs annual affiliation and clubs who tick boxes for disciplines that they don't or can't properly support are inconveniencing their own members.

Whichever of those disciplines your 1st claim club affiliates to, then you are tied to them, regardless of whether they compete in that discipline as a club on a regular basis.

You need to check with your first claim club, see if they are fell affiliated and if so, the best course of action then is to right to your area body, eg North of England and ask if they will consider switching your 1st claim feel status to your 2nd claim club.

It will probably need the written support of both clubs involved - we have done something similar in the case of one athlete.

One other way is that if your 1st claim club IS affiliated to Fell, but doesn't support team efforts, you should ask them to withdraw their fell affiliation and then you and any other member of that club would be free to run for a 2nd claim club that was affiliated to fells.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    My understanding of this is it is not the runner but the club. So, my club (Pensby) is registered as fell but Wirral AC, for example, arent. Therefore someone can be 1st claim Wirral and 2nd claim Pensby and run all fells for us. But if their 1st clam was Dark Peak then they couldn't.

Unless you're Nick Leigh in which case you can do what you want really!!!:w00t:
    Who cut your hair, Stevie Wonder?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post

Ian

this is exactly the issue I have. i would ideally like to join a fell only club but cant because Notts AC are affilliated with UKA for fell. This means if I leave Notts and join a fell club I cant then run as second claim for Notts or anyone ellse who has fell affiliation as things like the N Midds X/C league only allow first claim runners. Perhaps the way forward is still to join a club that has a fell team and also competes in X/C leagues? perhaps that is a certain N Notts club!?