Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Border Collie, well trained

Re: Border Collie, well traine

She is home and at the moment fast asleep by the sofa. Quick update on what we know so far. She is a very scared little dog. Cowers when you put out your hand to stroke her and shivers. From what I can gather from the lady at the rescue centre she was not well treated by the man of the house where she came from. She has lived outside in an outhouse for the last 3yrs and has had a foot up her backside more than once. She is blind in her left eye (not sure how she got that).
    MrRTS has sat on the floor next to her since we came home and she is now stretching her head toward him to be stroked and she fell asleep next to him. She won't go in the bed we bought for her yet though. Think it will take a little while for her to trust us but ........... She has a beautiful temperament and I know we are all going to get on wonderfully. We love her already!! Our chocolate lab seems to know she is scared too as she is being so gentle with her :-)

Arrggghhh doesn't sound like she's quite the perfect dog i was led to believe, sorry.. but i'm sure you'll do really well with her.

I've belatedly realised today that this dog has come from the farm neighbouring my house. The aforementioned man is quite unpleasant, i wouldn't want to be one of his dogs. Among his many opinions, which he loves nothing better than to share, is that women over 30 should not have children (an argument he extrapolates from commercial sheep farming), I could go on.... the welfare of his farm stock is really poor.

Thank god you've given her a good home, she's lucky

Well done RTS, sounds like you're taking on a well needed case there! I'd love to do something similar but sadly our black retriever-ish mutt is still not good with other dogs (despite us having her for 7 years, it seems that 2 years in and out of rescue still makes her anti-dog at times).

Good luck to you all, and I hope the progress continues!

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    Arrggghhh doesn't sound like she's quite the perfect dog i was led to believe, sorry.. but i'm sure you'll do really well with her.

Thank god you've given her a good home, she's lucky
    please don't be sorry. Think she was meant for us. She is getting more and more comfortable as the night goes on :-) we love her x

I've been following this thread and just thought I'd say it's nice to hear the poor thing's gone to a good home. That farmer sounds terrible.
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

So jealous!! I / we'd love to get a Collie but with our work patterns etc its just not on for us. I think when we retire one (or two!?) will be on the cards. Well done fot taking her on RTS! :thumbup:
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Really upsetting news on this. MrRTS slept downstairs with her on Friday night as she was rather scared and crying a little. She made her way over to him and snuggled up to him in the night so a real break through. He took her for a walk at 7am down by the river Derwent at Bamford. She was fine, but as he crossed the bridge she got really spooked by the river noise and struggled before slipping her lead. It all happened in a split second and she took off across the field before he could grab her. We have been looking for her since. Nigel hasnt stopped looking and he is so upset she got away. Sightings of her are Bamford Recreation ground 7.30am Snake Pass Road between Hagg Farm heading towards Bamford 9.30am Bamford Brentwood Rd farm 4.30pm. Edale Mountain Rescue have put an alert on their Facebook page and twitter and lots of people are out looking for her. Please share this information with anyone that is in the Hope Valley area to help us find her. I can't begin to say how upset we are that we have lost her. We just want to get her home safe and well. Contact number is 07718229230.

Banned

Terrible news RTS. Sure you will find her safe and well.
    All the best from Stagger Ernie and family.

Oh no! Good luck, and don't panic, you'll find her.. keep us updated! Don't be upset with yourselves, these things happen and they are so sharp.

So sorry to hear that. Try not too feel bad as it does happen. We adopted a rescue collie earlier on this year. He had been abused and can be anxious about some things too. He spooked not long after we got him and slipped his collar too (collies have such skinny heads and can wriggle backards so well) but luckily he just bolted down the road and hid behind a wall. We walked him on a harness for a while after that until we were sure he had relaxed a bit. It makes me so cross at how some people have treated their dogs in the past and the terrible effects it has on them long term.

I really hope you find her soon and please let us all know when you get her home safe and well.