View Poll Results: do you want your fell races...

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low tech, simple and low key.

37 100.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do young Newbies want?

What do young Newbies want?

Following on from some mild jousting on the electronic results thread, I got to thinking about what attracts newcomers to the sport. So this poll is for UNDER 30's ONLY!!
    Any overage spoilers creeping in will be dealt with MOST severely!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned

Re: What do young Newbies want

That's ageism.
    Under 30's should be discovering life or making it.

I'm 31 but I feel younger if that helps?
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Following on from some mild jousting on the electronic results thread, I got to thinking about what attracts newcomers to the sport. So this poll is for UNDER 30's ONLY!!
    OOps, voted before reading this bit!

Now quaking in my old-man slippers

Bugger - Sorry Wheeze, I got a bit excited and voted prior to reading your first post, Im not far from under 30 though !?
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    That's ageism.
    Under 30's should be discovering life or making it.

Damn right its ageism!
    I was just interested to ask the question because whenever the issue of how fell races should be run arises and I put forward the simple low key ideology there is some gentle ribbing about living in the past etc etc. But I remember so clearly that a large part of the attraction for me at 28 when I started WAS the simplicity and down to earthness....all the attention went onto the environment we raced in rather than just the racing itself.
    Of course, I now am interested if that is a view that newbies less than 30 still hold. Or am I far behind the times? Have the expectations of a young breed of fell runners drawn perhaps from adventure racing and charitable 3 peaking altered, compared to those of us who started in the 80's as an antidote to the road running 'minutes per mile' herd?

How should fell clubs/RO's set the tone for the delivery of the sport?

Some people want to modernise all the time but should we push back against that in fell racing?
    I'm interested to know what young newcomers think and want.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Drugs and rock n roll
    pies

I voted before I read the first post.....but consider myself a newbie. Only found out about the sport by accident when I moved up here. I like the simplicity and the easygoing nature of it all, but I also enjoy the road races.

Damn right its ageism!
    I was just interested to ask the question because whenever the issue of how fell races should be run arises and I put forward the simple low key ideology there is some gentle ribbing about living in the past etc etc. But I remember so clearly that a large part of the attraction for me at 28 when I started WAS the simplicity and down to earthness....all the attention went onto the environment we raced in rather than just the racing itself.
    Of course, I now am interested if that is a view that newbies less than 30 still hold. Or am I far behind the times? Have the expectations of a young breed of fell runners drawn perhaps from adventure racing and charitable 3 peaking altered, compared to those of us who started in the 80's as an antidote to the road running 'minutes per mile' herd?

How should fell clubs/RO's set the tone for the delivery of the sport?

Some people want to modernise all the time but should we push back against that in fell racing?
    I'm interested to know what young newcomers think and want.
    I'm under thirty, I've been at it for a couple of years and I was attracted to fell running for the same reasons as you.

People keep banging on about changing this and that, but fell running hasn't really changed at all and it's never been more popular.

Don't get me wrong I think a spot of sport ident here and there could be a good thing, but anything that moves the sport too far in the direction of triathlon and adventure style events would put me and most people over 30 off too!!!

I can see why you want to ask youngsters like me, but I can only think of two others on here who are under thirty.......

People come to the sport at lots of different ages, but we're all fell runners and we should all have a say in the future of the sport.

Not really bothered, sometimes its nice to get instant results, other times the anticipation of waiting is good as well!