Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kilburn Kanter

Finally got to do the KK yesterday.
    Epically wet conditions and a true mudfest; excellent catering and support throughout; and a route that looked as if it would be stunning if you could actually see anything.
    A couple of major route errors added significant extra distance, so even better value for money.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Epically wet conditions and a true mudfest; excellent catering and support throughout; and a route that looked as if it would be stunning if you could actually see anything.
    A couple of major route errors added significant extra distance, so even better value for money.
    i did this one at the weekend. really enjoyed it but pretty muddy for almost all of the route - heavy heavy going !

Hopefully underfoot conditions (and the views) will be better this coming weekend TF (though will do well to match Elland Back weather) after all the recent mostly dry weather. My first time doing this, anyone else running/walking?

I'm entered and was looking forward to it, but have had (yet another) 3 weeks out of action with a calf strain so it may well be (yet another) non-appearance from me. At this very moment I'm contemplating going outside for a very short and gentle trial jog.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Hopefully underfoot conditions (and the views) will be better this coming weekend TF (though will do well to match Elland Back weather) after all the recent mostly dry weather. My first time doing this, anyone else running/walking?
    Mrs C and I are entered….. not done it before and wasn’t on our itinerary until recently. Sounds like a lovely route (weather permitting) and thought we’d better investigate the area a bit after entering the NYM 100 (of course remains to be seen if we get in).

I'm entered and was looking forward to it, but have had (yet another) 3 weeks out of action with a calf strain so it may well be (yet another) non-appearance from me. At this very moment I'm contemplating going outside for a very short and gentle trial jog.
    Hope you pull through TF and can make it to the start line.

Barbara still has a knee issue after Lakes In A Day, so hope that doesn’t spoil our outing.
    Totley AC

A cracking morning (and early afternoon!) out yesterday despite the tough conditions - wet & muddy underfoot in some parts and, despite the early sunshine, a cold windy day with plenty of blustery showers - a mix of rain & sleet, the checkpoint marshal just before Gormire Lake reckoned times were up to 30 mins down on normal. Great support from all the checkpoint marshals, along with plentiful food both at the checkpoints and the finish - the pie & peas followed by crumble & custard certainly went down well!

Good to see Tussockface at the start and also just finishing as I was back at my car - hope the calf held out well TF!
    Last edited by Multiterrainer; 06-11-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Yes, the leg held up and in fact I was 20 minutes quicker than last year, though this was largely due to improved navigation.

Thank you for pointing out that you were home and hosed and full of crumble by the time I plodded back up the lane.....

Glad you enjoyed it. It's a great route, and although the hail was bit vicious - it hit me full on during the long 'field' section past High Buildings - I was actually able to see a lot more of it this year as visibility (especially over the first half) was way better than the 2015 rainfest.

As well as stunning scenery, the catering is phenomenal for a small low-key event and it's no wonder it books up early.

Loved this event, shame some people take a shortcut straight to the bucket drop missing out the Scotch Corner section and at least 1 person cutting across the glider field to gain an advantage, the only down side on the route for me is the downhill road section into Hawnby after the self clip, kills my quads, otherwise cracking day out. Hats off to all the marshals out in that weather, and the food in the village hall was phenomenal. Definitely be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by smellyhelly View Post
    Loved this event, shame some people take a shortcut straight to the bucket drop missing out the Scotch Corner section and at least 1 person cutting across the glider field to gain an advantage, the only down side on the route for me is the downhill road section into Hawnby after the self clip, kills my quads, otherwise cracking day out. Hats off to all the marshals out in that weather, and the food in the village hall was phenomenal. Definitely be back next year.
    I noticed that on Strava, like you say it's a shame some people choose to gain advantage in such ways, though I also saw one lady missed the self-clip but don't know whether penalised,

Lovely event/route, we really enjoyed the day out. Got off to a good start on the Friday after departing midday from Buckinghamshire and arriving at York for some shopping, coffee and cake. Not had a proper look around York before and was really taken by the place. So much so, that Barbara suggested we ditch the race and spend the Sat’ doing more shopping and indulging in stuffing our faces from the great choice of eatery establishments.

Anyway, talked her round to doing the event after a very relaxing night at the Premier Inn (bargain at just £37). Kilburn is a small and tranquil village and a perfect setting for what is a low-key event.

I’m surprised to hear about people taking a direct line to the bucket-drop, as personally I was expecting this to be actually at Scotch Corner (in the woods), but maybe regulars know they never put the bucket/marshal at this point, but rather further on, at the point you join the road.

I admit to missing the self-clip… no deliberate omission, an honest nav mistake. I was following some people that looked confident in their route choices and despite checking the map myself, still managed to take a route parallel/below where the self-clip was located. So I did short-cut the route slightly, but not sure by how much. I didn’t feel too guilty as earlier had made a nav mistake and had to double back…….. my final Garmin Fenix 3/Tracklogs stats of 23.9 miles and 3,900 ft ascent confirmed I’d essentially completed the expected challenge of the course, so feel happy with that.

We got round in 5.13 hours, slower than I’d expected. Thought we might take around 4.30, but always difficult to predict on a course you’re not familiar with. Barbara’s knee held up really well, which was a real result. Unexpectedly a small niggle I’ve been carrying with my calf for many months flared-up and really made itself known in the latter part of the route, which became so uncomfortable that I had to adopt a run/walk technique.

As already mentioned, the organisation, support/food at checkpoints and hospitality at the finish were excellent. The LDWA are a fine bunch and am pleased I became a member earlier this year after enjoying their events for several years prior to that. Unfortunately couldn’t hang around at the end and had to promptly head off home…… thankfully M1 traffic was good and got home at 5pm.

Shame I wasn’t able to identify/speak to other FRA Forum members that were there……. I’m still getting to know people so don’t know what some of you look like. Perhaps we need better avatar/profile pictures and/or a type of ID badge which show we are FRA. Btw, do FRA do a Buff type product which would greatly help identify members to each other?
    Last edited by MarkClayton; 07-11-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    Totley AC