Thread: Fell Runners Navigation Course

Fell Runners Navigation Course

Navigation for Fell Runners course. Suitable for either beginners or for established fell runners looking to gain confidence in their navigation skills. Please read details below.

There will be a 1 day navigation for fell runners course on Saturday 8 December at Crowden YHA (on the Woodhead pass) put on by myself and Dave Taylor from Dark Peak.

The course will run from 9-5 and you need to bring a packed lunch. Tea and biscuits will be provided.

The course will be a pilot and as such is priced at only £20 per person.

The course assumes no prior knowledge and will take you through the basic principles of navigating on the fells.

There will be a little bit of theory but most of the course will be delivered practically.

Please come equipped for the weather. Full waterproof body cover, hat, gloves and (as we will be standing still for some of the time) lots of extra layers.

We haven't totally finalised the course programme yet, however we are designing it around the outcomes listed below

1. Understand something of how a map is made, their purpose and the similarities and differences between different maps

2. Understand map symbols, symbols that are common to all maps and those are specific to certain ones.

3. Understand how to set the map using the features around you and your compass

4. Be able to use a map to follow linear features (paths, tracks, walls, fences etc.)

5. Understand and interpret contour features

6. Be able to take a rough compass bearing and understand when it is appropriate to do so

7. Be able to take a compass bearing and understand when it is appropriate to do so

8. Be able to use timing and pacing to estimate distance

The course intends to provide quality and as such the ratio will be a maximum of 1 to 4, therefore there will be only 8 places available. Places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.

For those of you who don't know, both Dave and I are qualified teachers, mountain leaders, orienteering coaches, fell runners and most of the time work as outdoor education instructors.

If you want to book, go to the following link

http://www.fellrunningguide.co.uk/sample-page/navigation-training-2/

enter your contact details into the required fields and Dave will e-mail you a booking form.

If you have any other questions then please give me a ring. I quite often work in areas with no mobile phone reception so please be patient and I will get back to you.

077968 86974

Kind regards

Dan

Re: Fell Runners Navigation Co

I'm in :thumbup:, anyone else going?